Tourette Car history
London, England From 1956 to 1958.
|Manufacturer||Progress Supreme Co Ltd.|
|Production||1956–1958 (26 produced)|
The Tourette was a microcar by Carr Brothers (later Progress Supreme Co Ltd) of Purley, London, England between 1956 and 1958.
It had a three-wheeled, rounded body that was available either in alloy on an ash frame, or in fibreglass. The car was powered by a two-stroke 197 cc Villiers engine driving through a four-speed gearbox with optional Dynastart reverse. Top speed was claimed to be 55 mph (89 km/h). The single rear wheel was mounted in a pivotel fork. Front-wheel movement was controlled by hydraulically damped spring units. Final drive was by chain. A single bench seat provided accommodation for two adults and a child with some luggage space behind the seat.
Approximate weight, fully equipped, was 500 lb (230 kg). Fuel tank capacity was 2.25 imperial gallons (10.2 L; 2.7 US gal).
In 1958, the purchase price (including purchase tax), was £386 10s 5d (£386.52). Only 26 are believed to have been produced.