|Production||1948-1953 8925 built|
|Assembly||United Kingdom Victoria Park, Australia|
|Body and chassis|
|Body style||4-door saloon|
|Related||Morris Oxford MO|
|Engine||1.5 L Morris I4|
|Wheelbase||102 inches (2591 mm)|
|Length||170 inches (4267 mm)|
|Width||66 inches (1676 mm)|
|Height||63 in (1,600 mm)|
The Wolseley 4/50 and similar 6/80 were Wolseley Motors' first post-war automobiles. They were rushed into production in 1948 and were based on the Morris Oxford MO and the Morris Six MS respectively. The 4-cylinder 4/50 used a 1476 cc 50 hp (37 kW) version of the 6/80 engine, while the 6/80 used a 2215 cc 72 hp (54 kW) straight-6 single overhead cam.
The cars were well equipped and looked impressive, with a round Morris rear end and upright Wolseley grille and were used extensively by the Police at the time - the 6/80 particularly.
These models were built at Morris's Cowley factory alongside the 'Oxford'. They were replaced in 1953 and 1954 by the Wolseley 4/44 and 6/90.
A 4/50 tested by the British magazine The Motor in 1950 had a top speed of 70.7 mph (113.8 km/h) and could accelerate from 0-60 mph (97 km/h) in 30.3 seconds. A fuel consumption of 27.0 miles per imperial gallon (10.5 L/100 km; 22.5 mpg-US) was recorded. The test car cost £703 including taxes.
Sales volumes were only a third those of the car's six-cylinder sibling: the car was regarded as heavy, with "good use of the excellent gear-box" being needed to maintain a respectable pace. The Wolseley 4/50 was more upmarket & expensive than the Morris Oxford. The engine used was a 4-cylinder version of the 6/80. The pistons & doors were of very few common parts used in this range of cars. The snub nose styling distinguishes it from the long elegant bonnet of the 6/80