Enzmann Automobiles Schupfheim; Switzerland 1956 to 1967
The Enzmann also called the Enzmann 506 is a sports car constructed by the Swiss Emil Enzmann , which was built from 1956 to 1968. The brand name Enzmann has been continued since 2001 by the son-in-law of Emil Enzmann. The company is currently based in Bischofszell as Gossweiler + Schreiber .
In 1953, the Swiss country doctor and hobby designer Dr. med. Emil Enzmann an open sports car, inspired by the Porsche 550 Spyder . The body was a monoblock type made of fiberglass-reinforced plastic ,then was bolted to a VW chassis . To reduce weight, the installation of doors was omitted, which also simplified the body structure.
ENGINE CAPACITY: 79.20 cu in, 1295 cu cm; SEATS: 2; MAX SPEED: 99.4 mph, 160 km/h; PRICE: 10,600 francs.
In 1956, the Enzmann-Spider was presented in Lausanne at the Comptoir Suisse . In 1957, the International Motor Show followed in Frankfurt, where he also received the suffix 506 , the number of the trade fair stand. There were three variants:
- Spider - with a small racing disc and open
- Cabriolet - with Karmann disc and folding roof
- Hardtop - with fixed folding or parallel sliding roof
It was made from 1956 to 1968. The main cause for the production to stop was ultimately the procurement of new chassis , which was torpedoed by VW. VW saw in Enzmann a competitor to the VW Karmann Ghia . Thus, the veto of AMAG , the Swiss VW and Porsche importer, meant the end for the Enzmann production. The alternative would have been to buy new VW Beetle, unscrew their bodies and convert them to men . This would have been far too expensive and Enzmann would have thrown out of the race in the competition - a circumstance that brought the end to other Beetle converters, such as the company Rometsch .Finally, about 100 vehicles have been built.
Karl Enzmann and Werner Schreiber, son and son-in-law of the company founder, nowadays produce faithful new editions. Since the launch of the new edition in 2001, air-cooled boxer engines with two-liter displacement and a twin carburetor from the Volkswagen Beetle have been used there . The power is rated at 110 hp .
- max power (DIN): 45 hp at 4600 rpm
- max torque (DIN).70 1b ft, 9.7 kgm at 2800 rpm
- max number of engine rpm: 5200
- specific power: 347 hp/l
- power-weight ratio: 26.0 lb/hp, 11.8 kg/hp
- useful load: 353 1b, 160 kg
- acceleration: 0—50 mph (0 —80 km/h) 9 sec
- speed in top at 1000 rpm: 20.2 mph, 32.5 km/h.
- max speed in 1st gear: 31.1 mph, 50 km/h
- max speed in 2nd gear: 56 mph, 90 km/h
- max speed in 3rd gear: 85.1 mph, 137 km/h
- max speed in 4th gear: 99.4 mph, 160 km/h
VARIATIONS AND OPTIONAL ACCESSORIES:
Engine capacity 72.90 cu in, 1290 cu cm, bore and stroke 3.03 x 2.52 in, 77 x 64 mm, MAG low pressure compressor, compression ratio 6.6 : 1, max power 42 hp at 3400 rpm; 506 Super 1300
Hardtop, overall height 42.52 in, 1080 mm, dry weight 1323 1b, 600 kg.