Suzuki Lapin HE21S,HE22S
|Also called||Mazda Spiano|
|Production||2002–present 2002-2008 (Mazda Spiano)|
|Body style||5-door hatchback|
|Engine||657 cc inline-3 dohc 40 kW 657 cc inline-3 turbo dohc 44 kW|
|Transmission||4-speed automatic 5-speed manual|
|Wheelbase||2,360 mm (92.9 in)|
|Length||3,395 mm (133.7 in)|
|Width||1,475 mm (58.1 in)|
|Height||1,495 mm (58.9 in)-1,505 mm (59.3 in)|
|Curb weight||780 kg (1,720 lb)-850 kg (1,874 lb)|
|Related||Suzuki Alto, Suzuki Wagon R|
The Suzuki Lapin is a Kei car with a 5-door hatchback body, manufactured since 2002 by Suzuki for the Japanese market only, and was also marketed in Japan only by Mazda as Mazda Spiano under an OEM agreement under their Autozam marque until 2008. It is based on Suzuki's popular Alto kei car.
The Lapin has a very distinctive, boxy shape, that apparently proved popular with female buyers. The name "Lapin" stems from the French word for "rabbit", and the car sports rabbit-head badges. The Mazda version has differences concerning some styling details, including a different front end.
First generation HE21S (2002–2008)
The first generation Alto Lapin was introduced in January 2002 with three trims, "G","X" and "X2". The car is powered by the Suzuki's K6A kei car engine, 0.66L naturally aspirated (40 kW / 54 hp)with either front-wheel drive or all-wheel drive. The default transmission is a 4-speed automatic.
- In October 2002, Suzuki launched the "Turbo" introduced.It is got turbocharged (44 kW / 60 hp) motor and a 5-speed manual option.
- In September 2003, the series II model introduced and two new versions "SS" and "L" added.
- In October 2004, the series III model introduced and "L" discontinued.
- In December 2005, the series IV model introduced and canvas top version discontinued.
- In April 2006, the series V model introduced and round-shape headlamps "L" added."X2" version discontinued.
- In May 2007, the series VI model introduced and received new shape front grill.
Second generation HE22S (2008-)
The second generation Alto Lapin was introduced in November 2008 with four trims, "G", "X", "T" and "T L package". CVT added and Manual transmission dropped.
- In May 2010, all models got CVT and a 4 speed Auto discontinued.
- In August 2010, the series II model was introduced.
- In May 2012, the series III model was introduced.