Morris Austin FG FM light truck
British Leyland Motor Corporation
1959 to 1980
Gasoline 3.9 liters
The Morris FG / Austin S200 and 404 (FG in export) was a light truck in cab-over-the-top construction, which the British Motor Corporation presented in 1959 as the successor of the lighter variants of the Morris FE / (Austin FE) and the Morris LC / (Austin 301) , The vehicles had an innovative, newly designed cab. After all commercial vehicles in the group were only marketed as BMC in 1968 , the model was now called BMC FG . The merger of BMC and Leyland Motors to British Leyland Motor Corporation in 1970 was again a name change to Leyland FG, As such, it was produced until 1980 and replaced by new body styles of Leyland Sherpa .
As Morris FG / Austin FG (S200 and 404) from 1959 to 1968, BMC FG 1968 to 1970, Leyland FG 1970 to 1980
In 1958, the redesigned Morris FF / (Austin S301 / 401/501) launched as a replacement for the heavier versions of the Morris FE / (Austin 301). 1959 presented BMC then the Morris FG / Austin S200 and 404 as the successor to the lighter versions and as a successor model for the even originally on a construction before the Second World War based Langhauber trucks Morris LC / Austin 301. During the FF chassis of the FE and received only a new body, the FG was completely redesigned. Only the concept of the separate front opening window in the front area resembled the FE. The difference between the Morris and Austin variant existed only in different radiator grills and brand emblems, as well as the name on the home market. In export, the Austin was often marketed as Austin FG.
When the FG was introduced, the concept of the cab was a quantum leap in commercial vehicle construction. The doors were mounted above the angled rear corners of the cab and struck behind as narrow suicidal doors . As a result, they barely protrude beyond the width of the cabin when opening and thus provided the advantage, similar to a sliding door. BMC marketed this under the term practical angle, popularly referred to as the "three-penny bit," based on the pre-decimal, a twelve-sided British coin. Even the entry itself was made easier by this door, because not more - as with many front handlebars usual - had to be climbed over the height of the front wheel to reach the door. According to investigations, the driver's entry and exit required only one third of the usual effort required of front-mounted drivers, which was considered a major advantage, above all in delivery service traffic. Not least was greatly facilitated by the sloping rear door window maneuvering.
Another innovation on the FG cab was the curved "Street View" windows mounted at the front corners below the windshield. These helped the driver when parking, and also the dead angle was enormously limited. For example, when driving on pedestrian streets, smaller children were also to be perceived by the driver. The concept was rounded off by the shift lever and handbrake mounted on the right side of the driver's seat (right-hand drive version), which meant that there was always free passage in the cab.
Due to the angle design, however, there were also conceptual disadvantages. The room itself in the cabin was very narrow and therefore the seats were pretty narrow. Drivers had additional difficulty through the narrow doors and get out. In addition, the exhaust heat of the front engine together with the narrow cabin quickly made for stuffy air in summer. Probably also, therefore, the windscreens could be opened as in the predecessor, although such a design at that time actually went out of fashion.BMC finally refined the angle concept on the BMC 350 EA , which had sliding doors as standard. The "Street View" windows experienced a partial return at the Leyland Roadrunner , which had a small window on the passenger side in the front area below the windshield, giving the driver a view of the roadside.
From 1960, the series was marketed with payloads from 1 ½ to 5 tons. In addition to the flatbed also vehicles with box body were offered ex works. In addition, in cooperation with bodybuilders, there were also standard models in box van form for delivery services of all kinds. Thus, the FG was often seen as a Sunblest baker delivery vehicle or as a laundry delivery vehicle. These models had instead of a partition at the cabin end a sliding door. A big buyer of the FG models was British Gas.To mitigate the conceptual disadvantages of the FG, BMC submitted in 1961 for FM.
As Morris FM / Austin FG K100 1961 to 1968, 1 BMC FM,1968 to 1970 and FM Leyland 1970 to 1980 .The Morris FM was essentially a modified version of the FG cabin with a larger front to allow the engine to be mounted further forward. This created more space in the cab, even for larger and more comfortable seats. Another possibility was to lock the (now larger) driver's seat by means of a rail centrally in the cab next to a foldable passenger seat, or a triple seat. However, the FM retained the two most striking features of the FG, the windows on the roadside and the specially arranged doors. The FM was delivered almost exclusively to the Post Office telephone, today British Telecom and the Royal Post.