Jaguar Mark 2 240 -340
|1959 to 1969|
|Also called||re-labelled Jaguar 240 & Jaguar 340 from September 1967|
|Production||1959–1967 83,976 (Mark 2) 1967–1969 7,234 (240 & 340)|
|Body and chassis|
|Body style||4-door saloon|
|Related||Daimler 2.5-V8 / V8-250 Jaguar S-Type Jaguar 420|
|Engine||2,483 cc (2.5 L) XK I6 3,442 cc (3.4 L) XK I6 3,781 cc (3.8 L) XK I6 (until 1966)|
|Wheelbase||107 in (2,718 mm)|
|Length||180 in (4,572 mm)|
|Width||67 in (1,702 mm)|
|Height||58 in (1,473 mm)|
|Kerb weight||3,174 lb (1,440 kg) 2.4 manual without overdrive|
|Predecessor||Jaguar Mark 1|
The Jaguar Mark 2 is a medium-sized saloon car built from late 1959 to 1967 by the Jaguar company in Coventry, England. For the last 12 months before announcement of the XJ6 they were re-labelled Jaguar 240 and Jaguar 340. The previous Jaguar 2.4 and 3.4 models made between 1955 and 1959 have been identified as Mark 1 Jaguars since Jaguar produced this Mark 2 model.
Until the XJ, Jaguar's postwar saloons were denoted by Roman Numerals (e.g. Mark VII, Mark VIII) while the Mark 2 used Arabic Numerals, denoted on the rear of the car as "MK 2".
The XK engine
Adhering to Sir William Lyons' maxim of "grace, pace and space", the Mark 2 was a fast and capable saloon. It came with a 120 bhp (89 kW; 120 PS) 2,483 cubic centimetres (152 cu in), 210 bhp (160 kW; 210 PS) 3,442 cubic centimetres (210 cu in) or 220 bhp (160 kW; 220 PS) 3,781 cubic centimetres (231 cu in) Jaguar XK engine.The 3.8 is similar to the unit used in the 3.8 E-Type (called XKE in the USA), having the same block, crank, connecting rods and pistons but different inlet manifold and carburation (two SUs versus three on the E-Type in Europe) and therefore 30 bhp (22 kW) less. The head of the six-cylinder engine in the Mark 2 had curved ports compared to the straight ports of the E-Type configuration. The 3.4- and 3.8-litre cars were fitted with twin SU HD6 carburettors and the 2.4 with twin Solex carburettors.
Jaguar Mark 2 3.4L engine
Compared to the Mark 1, appearance of the car was transformed by an increase of 18% in cabin glass area greatly improving visibility. The car was re-engineered above the waistline, slender front pillars allowed a wider windscreen and the rear window almost wrapped around to the enlarged side windows now with the familiar Jaguar D-shape above the back door and fully chromed frames for all the side windows. The radiator grille was amended and larger side, tail and fog lamps repositioned. Inside a new heating system was fitted and ducted to the rear compartment (although still notoriously ineffective). There was an improved instrument layout that became standard for all Jaguar cars until the XJ series II of 1973.
The front suspension geometry was rearranged to raise the roll centre and the rear track widened. Four-wheel disc brakes were now standard. Power steering, overdrive or automatic transmissions could be fitted at extra cost. The 3.8-Litre was supplied fitted with a limited-slip differential.
The Mark 2 was over 100kg heavier than the 2.4 / 3.4 cars.
Daimler 2.5 V8 and V8-250
A popular luxury derivative fitted with Daimler's own 142 bhp (106 kW; 144 PS) 2½-litre V8 it sold well from 1962 to 1967 as a Daimler 2.5 V8. In late 1967 it was re-labelled V8-250 to match Jaguar 240. As well as being significantly more powerful than the 2.4-litre XK6 the more modern Daimler engine was lighter by about 150 lb (68 kg) and also shorter which reduced the mass over the front wheels and so reduced understeer during hard cornering.
These cars were recognisable by the characteristic Daimler wavy fluting incorporated in the chrome radiator grille and rear number plate lamp cover, their smoothness and the sound of their V8 engine. They were given distinct exterior and luxury interior fittings.
240 and 340
In September 1967 the Mark 2 cars were re-labelled 240 and 340. The 3.8-litre engine was dropped. They were interim models to fill the gap until the introduction of the XJ6 in September 1968. The 340 was discontinued on the introduction of the XJ6 but the 240 continued as a budget priced model until April 1969; its price of £1364 was only £20 more than the first 2.4 in 1956.
Output of the 240 engine was increased from 120 bhp (89 kW; 120 PS) @ 5,750 r.p.m. to 133 bhp (99 kW; 135 PS) @ 5,500 r.p.m. and torque was increased. It now had a straight-port type cylinder head and twin HS6 SU carburettors with a new inlet manifold. The automatic transmission was upgraded to a Borg-Warner 35 dual drive range. Power steering by Marles Varamatic was now available on the 340. Servicing intervals were increased from 2,000 miles to 3,000 miles. There was a slight reshaping of the rear body and slimmer bumpers and over-riders were fitted For the first time the 2.4-litre model could exceed 100 mph, resulting in a slight sales resurgence.
The economies of the new 240 and 340 models came at a cost – the leather upholstery was replaced by Ambla leather-like material and tufted carpet was used on the floor—though both had been introduced on the Mark 2 a year earlier. Other changes included the replacement of the front fog lamps with circular vents and optional fog lamps for the UK market. The sales price was reduced to compete with the Rover 2000 TC.
Mark 2, 1959 to 1967 83,976 Mark 2s were built, split as follows:
- 2.4 – 25,173
- 3.4 – 28,666
- 3.8 – 30,141
240 and 340 series, 1967 to 1969 total production 7,246 as follows:
- 240 – 4,446
- 340 – 2,788
- 380 – 12 (not a standard production option)
The XJ6 was introduced in September 1968.
A 3.4-litre car with automatic transmission tested by The Motor magazine in 1961 had a top speed of 119.9 mph (193.0 km/h) and could accelerate from 0-60 mph (97 km/h) in 11.9 seconds. A touring fuel consumption of 19.0 miles per imperial gallon (14.9 L/100 km; 15.8 mpg-US) was recorded. The test car cost £1951 including taxes of £614.
A 3.8-litre car with the 220 bhp engine was capable of accelerating from 0-60 mph (97 km/h) in 8.5 seconds and could reach a top speed of 125 mph (201 km/h).
The Mark 2 was raced successfully in the European Touring Car Championship.
Influence on modern Jaguars
The Mark 2's body lines, derived from the Mark 1, and overall layout proved sufficiently popular over time to provide an inspiration for the Jaguar S-Type introduced in 1999.
Portrayal in media
The Mark 2 gained a reputation as a capable car among criminals and law enforcement alike; the 3.8 Litre model being particularly fast with its 220 bhp (164 kW) engine driving the car from 0-60 mph (97 km/h) in 8.5 seconds and to a top speed of 125 mph (201 km/h) with enough room for five adults. Popular as getaway cars, they were also employed by the police to patrol British motorways.
The Mark 2 is also well known as the car driven by fictional TV detective Inspector Morse played by John Thaw; Morse's car was the version with 2.4 L engine, steel wheels and Everflex vinyl roof. In November 2005, the car used in the television series sold for more than £100,000 following a total ground-up rebuild (prior to this, in its recommissioned state in 2002 after coming out of storage, it had made £53,000 at auction – £45,000 more than an equivalent without the history). In the original novels by Colin Dexter, Morse had driven a Lancia but Thaw insisted on his character driving a British car in the television series.
In the 1987 British film Withnail and I, a light-grey Mark 2 in very poor condition serves as the main transport for the eponymous main characters' disastrous trip to the English countryside.
The famous Jaguar Mk2 with Inspector Morse played by John Thaw
1960 Jaguar Mk.II in Wheeler Dealers series 9