Nacke (Automobile Factory E. Nacke)
Automotive manufacturer Kötitz , Germany
The automobile factory E. Nacke was a German manufacturer of automobiles and commercial vehicles from Kötitz near Coswig .
Emil Nacke was owner of the "Maschinenfabrik E. Nacke" in Kötitz since 1891 for the production of machines for the paper industry .
There was no great interest in the newly developing automobile industry. From his visit to the Paris Motor Show he brought a two-seater from the French brand Panhard & Levassor . As a result, a department for automobile construction was set up in the machine factory, and in 1900 the first Saxon passenger car was completed. It was a two-seater with 2-cylinder gasoline engine of 8-10 hp with chain transmission and a top speed of 30-35 km / h. Nacke named his first automobiles after the then neighboring municipality of the production site Coswiga . Just one year later, this car was on the automobile exhibition in Berlindisplayed. Production in 1901 consisted of four different types of cars, and in the 1910 prospectus the program already includes seven different types of passenger cars.
In 1902, Nacke invented the principle of the inner shoe brake . In order to prove the safety and reliability of the passenger cars, there were several Europe-wide competing rides. Particularly well known were the three Herkomer competitions (1905-1907) and the Prince Heinrich rides from 1908. The automobile factory E. H. Nacke not only participated in it, but also successfully won plaques. This shows their rank among the former car manufacturers. At the age of 63, Nacke himself drove the Herkomer Ride 1907. For further races he was able to win well-known racing drivers like Alexander Graumüller .
Particularly important was the reliability of the vehicles, such as the Nacke Double-Phaeton 35 HP. 1908 received the car of the Emperor Menelik II of Abyssinia (now Ethiopia ) as a gift from a German businessman. As can be seen in the brochure, it had to be overcome on the way there rather impassable routes. At the same time, a British expedition with the same destination was traveling in Ethiopia. The Siddeley 18 HP car did not fare so well. Therefore, Menelik II decided for the German vehicle, which was delivered in 1913 to the Ethiopian Kaiserhof. At this time Emil Hermann Nacke already belonged to the board of the Association of German motor vehicle industrialists, Despite his good reputation, Nacke was unable to gain a foothold in the field of passenger cars. The car production was therefore discontinued in 1913.
The truck and bus manufacturing
As early as 1905, truck construction was added to the car construction. Buses, municipal vehicles, fire brigades and motorized fire engines were also manufactured in the Automotive Division , and the production of the machinery factory was maintained. It served as a solid financial pillar against the rather as " hobby " operated motor vehicle construction.
A special gem from Coswig was built in 1906 for the Saxon king ten-seat Jagdomnibus. This bus was ordered by the royal Oberstallamt of the Dresdner Hof. The bodywork was supplied by the Dresden luxury car manufacturer H. Gläser . In the bodyshops associated with their own factory, other well-known bodywork factories also produced superstructures for the Nacke buses and trucks.
It is also noteworthy that Nacke set up its own omnibus lines. The Nacke bus for 12 people with 40-horsepower engine ran in 1912 on the route Königstein - Swiss mill in Saxony, where he took over the successor to the 1904 set Bielatalbahn . So there was 1912 the first scheduled trial operation on the route Meissen - Brockwitz - Weinböhla, which was finally taken over in 1913 by the Saxon Railway Administration. Used were two Nacke buses, equipped with the developed in the machine factory Pekrun in Coswig, novel screw drive , a mountain supportmade superfluous; the bodies were built by the company Schumann in Zwickau. It followed on 12 July 1912, the power bus line Tharandt - health resort Hartha , which replaced a 1900 established horse bus line and after several times changing ownership today still as line 345 of regional transport Dresden (RVD) in operation.
During the First World War, Nacke supplied the imperial army with a large number of 4-ton trucks. Chain drive was required for these subsidy trucks .
In the post-war period, the company strengthened the construction of commercial vehicles. Many famous Dresden factories, breweries and freight forwarders bought their vehicles from Nacke. Examples are Feldschlößchen , Felsenkeller and Universelle . But also in Calcutta, Porto and London used Coswig. The 1926 model range included 2.5-, 3.5- and 5-ton truck chassis with their own gasoline engines and several body variants. Among other things, Nacke produced fire trucks, timber transporters, dump trucks, brewery vehicles and buses and sold its trucks worldwide.
In 1929, the global economic crisis and obsolete production methods became noticeable in the company, which at that time had 250 employees, and in 1930 commercial vehicle production had to be discontinued. After that, Naked's sister Clara and her son Reinhold Toller continued the machine factory. In 1945, the company was placed under trusteeship and almost completely dismantled. With the acquisition in public property extinguished in 1948 the company name Maschinenfabrik E. Nacke in the commercial register .