1924 to 1925
Touring car , roadster ,coupe
Gasoline : 3.3 liters (50 kW)
The Chrysler B-70 was an American car, of the Chrysler company firts built in Detroit in January 1924.
The car replaced the models of Maxwell-Chalmers , the company that Walter P. Chrysler had previously renovated. Previously he had initiated the rescue of Willys-Overland . The development of the B-70 began in 1919 for the Willys Corporation , a holding independent of the Willys-Overland organization owned by John North Willys .
The vehicle was originally to come as Willys Six on the market. Three former Studebaker engineers, Fred Zeder , Owen Skelton and Carl Breer, were responsible for the design .
When the Willys Corporation went bankrupt in 1919, William C. Durant won a bidding war over Walter Chrysler (who was primarily interested in the Willys Six) for their modern Elizabeth (New Jersey) facility, which had several prototypes, including the Willys Six. He needed a larger, more opulent vehicle for his new company, and he wanted to compete with Buick with it. The Flint Six were formed in this manner. Skelton and Breernot concur completely with the new concept, especially since many of their inventive ideas had been discarded. The three were moved to Chalmers by Chrysler, where they resumed development from mid-1923 to the point when Durant had paused her. The finished vehicle was unveiled to the public as the Chrysler B-70 at the Hotel Commodore during the New York Motor Show in January 1924.
The Chrysler B-70 was the first production car with hydraulically operated brakes ever and the first mid-size car with a "high" compression engine.
Already in the first year of production, nine different bodies (by Fisher Body Co. ) were offered. The open cars initially had horizontally split windshields. The success was sensational: by the end of 1924, 32,000 cars were sold, setting a new record for the launch of a new model. With the introduction of the B-70 one stopped the production of the Chalmers.
The cars with the high-performance engines reached a top speed of 70 to 75 mph (112 to 120 km / h), only about 5 mph less than the Packard Single Eight with its 8-cylinder engine. Ralph DePalma won the mountain race of Mt. Wilson in a car of this type.
The following year, the Chalmers Motor Car Company became the Chrysler Corporation . The cars were continued almost unchanged, only the split windshield on the open models was replaced by a one-piece, top-hinged version. From mid-1925 Chrysler produced their own bodies.
In 1926, the G-70 replaced the B-70, of which approximately 108,600 had been built in two years.
The car had a class small 6 cylinder inline engine with 3,294 cc (201.5 cc). But he was with 4.7: 1 significantly higher compression than engines of the competition (around 4.0: 1). The engine had standing valves, aluminum pistons , pressure circulation lubrication and a carburettor from Ball & Ball . He gave a maximum output of 68 bhp (50 kW) at 3000 rpm. Using a single-plate dry clutch and a three speed transmission circuit means, the rear wheels are driven. There was a choice of 30 × 5.75 or 29 × 4.5 wheels. As standard, steel disc wheels were mounted on the open and wooden spoked wheels on the closed models. Wire spoke wheels were available as an option.
Maintenance Advanced Data
Members Only ! >> Register here. <<
Models and years covered 1910 to around 2020 all make and years. Car and Commercial vehicles Worldwide including basic to advanced.
Including Below on request for members..
- Engine rebuilds
- Manufacturer recall checks
- Known problems
- Trouble shooting
- Wiring diagrams
- Transmission rebuilds
- Wheel alignment data
- Dimensions and sizes
- Torque wrench settings
- Injection systems
- Cooling system
- Serial number locations