AEC Regent III Bus
|Production||1947 to 1957|
|Body style||bus double-deck|
|Engine||7.7 and 9.6 litre 6-cylinder diesel|
The AEC Regent III was a postwar Bus built in Britain during the 1940s to the late 1950s.
The Regent III first made its appearance in 1947, being a double-deck chassis with 16ft 4in wheelbase built in both 7ft 6in and 8ft widths.
Powered by a 6-cylinder 9.6 litre AEC oil engine, it was offered as the 0961/2 model with fluid flywheel, 4-speed pre-selector gearbox and air brakes, or as the 0961/2 to SV179 model with 4-speed sliding mesh gearbox and vacuum servo brakes.
Also introduced in 1947 was a 7.7 litre engined model of the Regent III classified 0681. This had a 4-speed sliding mesh gearbox and vacuum servo brakes, and was reclassified 6811A in 1948.
In 1948 these two models were reclassified 9612E and 9612A respectively.
Two years later, in 1950 the Regent III was lengthened to accommodate 27ft longbodywork. Although the wheelbase remained at 16ft 4in. Thus in this longer form the 9612E, 9612A, and 681 IA models were re-classified 9613E, 9613A and 6812A respectively.
In 1952 a new 4-speed synchromesh gearbox was introduced as a replacement for the sliding mesh unit and chassis fitted with this were given an 'S' suffix, the 9613A becoming 9613S and the 6812A becoming 6812S.
although during the final two years few were built due to the appearance of the Regent V in 1954,there was still over 5,930 Regent III chassis built before production ended in 1957.
© motorcar history