AEC Regent III RT Bus
|Production||1946 to 1953|
|Engine||9.6 litre 6-cylinder diesel|
The AEC Regent III RT was a postwar Bus built in Britain during the mid 1940s to the early 1950s.
Introduced in 1946, the postwar version of the Regent RT was classified by AEC as its 0961 model. All were fitted with the low profile radiator and bonnet that featured on the prewar RT bus.
Although the first chassis built in 1946 were supplied to provincial operators, all those that followed, with the exception of 40 built for St Helens Corporation, entered service with London Transport with many of these having the pre-fix registration as "HL HX HY".
It differed from its prewar counterpart in having an improved AEC 9.6 litre 6-cylinder oil engine of the A206 type.
Transmission was via a fluid flywheel and 4-speed air operated pre-selector gearbox whilst the brakes were air pressure operated.
The last Regent III RT was completed in 1953 by which time over 4,700 had been built.
© motorcar history