Vauxhall Prince Henry
|Body and chassis|
VAUXHALL PRINCE HENRY .Manufactured by Vauxhall Motors Ltd, Luton, Bedfordshire, England The Vauxhall Iron Works was established by a young Scottish mechanic, Alexander Wilson, at Vauxhall in South London in 1857.
The first car was made there in 1903. Two years later the factory was moved to Luton in Bedfordshire, where Vauxhall Motors Ltd was established, and car production began under the watchful eye of designer Laurence Pomeroy. The firm's first success came in 1908 when a Vauxhall sports car won a 320 km (200 mi) race. A Vauxhall was also the first car to exceed 160km/h (100mph) at Brooklands.
In 1911 Pomeroy designed the Prince Henry, named after the Prince Henry events in Germany. early versions had from 1911 3,054 cc. with around 40 BHP with Open 2 seat and later four seat touring bodys coach built.
Later cars had a 3969 cc in-line four-cylinder engine with side valve arrangement and a four-speed gearbox. It developed 55.2kW (75hp) at 2500 rpm. It was fitted with semi-elliptic leaf springs and cantilever suspension at the rear. It could reach 120km/h (75mph). A sports version took part in the 1913 Shelsley Walsh, Worcestershire, hill climb. The car broke all records, and the perfected 30/98 Vauxhall model entered motoring history.
In 1926 Vauxhall merged with General Motors. During the First World War the factory manufactured trucks and tanks. After the war the firm entered a period of boom, with more factories established at Luton, Ellesmere Port, and Dunstable. The company installed a trial track at Luton to simulate all driving conditions.