AEC Regal IV Bus
|Production||1950 to 1954|
|Body style||bus single-deck|
|Engine||AEC 9.645 litre|
|Wheelbase||15ft 4in and 16ft 4in|
The AEC Regal IV was a British single-deck Bus first built in the 1950s .
In 1950, AEC entered the market with an underfloor-engined single-deck chassis named the Regal IV. Originally it had a wheelbase of 15ft 8in and was designed to carry 27ft 6in long, 7ft 6in wide bodywork, although only 26 of this version were ever built as picture above.
The general production version had an extended wheelbase of 16ft 4in, to enable it to carry 30ft long coachwork, with a width of 8ft. Contrary to this,however, London Transport ordered 675 30ft long chassis with 7ft 6in width in 1951.
In 1951, an optional gearbox was offered, this being a 4-speed synchromesh box with friction clutch. Classifications used by AEC for its Regal IV range were 9821E for those fitted with pre-selector gearboxes (altered to 9822E in 1952), and 9821S for those with synchromesh boxes (altered to 9822S in 1952, whilst the 7ft 6in wide version built for London Transport was the 9821LT).
Air brakes are now standard equipment.The engine used in the Regal IV is a horizontal version of the AEC 9.645 litre engine, whilst the transmission is by a fluid flywheel and 4-speed pre-selective gearbox.
Production of the Regal IV for the home market ended early in 1954 when it was then superseded by the Reliance.
© motorcar history