Jeep CJ 5- 6 Willys
|Also called||Ford Jeep (Brazil) Jeep Shahbaz (Pars Khodro)|
|Engine||134 cu in (2.2 L) Willys Hurricane I4 192 cu in (3.15 L) Perkins Diesel I4 225 cu in (3.7 L) Dauntless V6 151 cu in (2.5 L) Iron Duke I4 232 cu in (3.8 L) AMC I6 258 cu in (4.2 L) AMC I6 304 cu in (5.0 L) AMC V8|
|Transmission||3-speed manual 4-speed manual|
|Wheelbase||81 in (2,057 mm) (1954-1971) 83.5 in (2,121 mm) (1972-1983)|
|Length||138.2 in (3,510 mm)|
|Width||68.5 in (1,740 mm)|
|Height||67.7 in (1,720 mm)|
|Curb weight||2,665 lb (1,209 kg)|
The Willys CJ-5 (after 1964 Jeep CJ-5) was influenced by new corporate owner, Kaiser, and the Korean War M38 Jeep. It was intended to replace the CJ-3B, but that model continued in production. The CJ-5 repeated this pattern, continuing in production for three decades while three newer models appeared. "The CJ-5 has the distinct honor of being a vehicle that was hard to kill off... equaling the longest production run of note." A total of 603,303 CJ-5s were produced between 1954 and 1983.
From 1961 to 1965, optional for the CJ-5 and CJ-6 was the British-made Perkins 192 cu in (3.15 L) Diesel I4 with 62 gross horsepower (46 gross kW) at 3000 rpm and 143 gross torque at 1350 rpm.
In 1965, Kaiser bought the casting rights to the Buick 225 cu in (3.7 L) V6 Dauntless and the CJ-5 and CJ-6 got a new engine with 155 hp (116 kW) supplementing the four-cylinder Willys Hurricane engine. Power steering was a $81 option.
The company was sold to American Motors (AMC) in 1970, and the GM engine was retired after the 1971 model year. (GM's Buick division repurchased the engine tooling in the early 1970s which served as the powerplant in several GM vehicles.) The "Trac-Lok" limited-slip differential replaced the "Powr-Lok" in 1971.
American Motors began using their own engines in 1972. Replacing the Hurricane was the one-barrel 232 cu in (3.8 L) (except in California). Optional was a one-barrel 258 cu in (4.2 L) (standard in California). Both engines used the Carter YF carburetor. Also in 1972, AMC's 304 cu in (5.0 L) V8 engine became available in the same tune as a base V8 muscle car. To accommodate the new engines the fenders and hood were stretched 5 inches (127 mm) starting in 1972 and the wheelbase was stretched 3 inches (76 mm). Other drive train changes took place then as well, including the front axle becoming a full-floating Dana 30. In 1973, a new dash was used, with a single gauge in the center of the dash housing the speedometer, fuel and temp. gauges.
In 1976 the tub and frame were modified slightly from earlier versions. The frame went from an open channel to boxed in front of the rear axle, and the body tub became more rounded. The windshield frame and windshield angle were also changed, meaning that tops from 1955 to 1975 will not fit a 1976-1983 CJ-5 and vice-versa. The rear axle was also changed in 1976 from a Dana model 44 to an AMC-manufactured model 20 which had a larger-diameter ring gear but used a two-piece axleshaft/hub assembly instead of the stronger one-piece design used in the Dana.
For 1977, power disc brakes and the "Golden Eagle" package(which included a tachometer) were new options.
In 1979, the standard engine became the 258 cu in (4.2 L) I6 that now featured a Carter BBD two-barrel carburetor.
An AM/FM radio became optional in 1981
From 1980 to 1983, the CJ-5 came standard with a "Hurricane"-branded version of the GM Iron Duke I4 with an SR4 close-ratio four-speed manual transmission. The 258 cu in (4.2 L) I6 remained available as an option, but the transmission was changed from the Tremec T-150 3-speed to a Tremec T-176 close-ratio four-speed. The Dana 30 front axle was retained, but the locking hubs were changed to ones using a five-bolt retaining pattern.
Several special CJ-5 models were produced:
- 1961-1963 Tuxedo Park Mark III
- 1965 "Tuxedo Park Mark IV"
- 1969 Camper
- 1969 462
- 1970 Renegade I
- 1971 Renegade II
- 1972-1983 Renegade Models — featuring a 304 cu in (5.0 L) V8, alloy wheels, and a Trac-Lok limited-slip differential
- 1973 Super Jeep
- 1977-1983 Golden Eagle
- 1979 Silver Anniversary
Jeep CJ5 Golden Eagle from 1979
Early Tuxedo Park models were trim lines, but the Tuxedo Park Mark IV was claimed as a separate model than the other CJ series (marked in 1965 as the "Universal"), with more differences than past models. The Tuxedo Park Mark IV was an attempt to crack the mass market; it was, according to Jeep, “a new idea in sports cars ... the sportiest, most FUNctional car on the automotive scene.” It added to the standard CJ chrome bumpers, hood latches, gas cap, mirror, and tail lamp trim. 81 and 101 inch wheelbases were available, with a variety of convertible top and seat colors, and front bucket seats in “pleated British calf grain vinyl.” Sales of this model, introduced in 1965, were low.
In Australia, a unique variant of the CJ5/CJ6 was produced in limited numbers. In 1965, when the CJ was given the all-new Buick V6, Jeep saw the need for something similar in Australia. As such, they began to fit Falcon 6-cylinder engines to them at their Rocklea factory in Queensland. The jeep was fitted with an engine, pedal box and clutch/brake system corresponding to the equivalent Falcon at the time; i.e. a 1965 CJ5 would be fitted with 1965 Falcon engine/clutch components. When the Falcon received a hydraulic clutch system, so too did the Jeep. Combat 6 jeeps were also fitted with Australian Borg Warner differentials, and Borg Warner brand gearboxes. Unfortunately there is very little documentation about these jeeps, and often the only way to conclusively identify them is by owner history.
While most foreign assemblers focused on the CJ3B, Brazil received the CJ5 instead. After having closed their market to imported cars in 1954, assembly of the "Willys Jeep Universal" (as it was known in Brazil) from CKD kits began in 1957.By 1960 production relied on locally sourced components, with the vehicles equipped with a 90 hp (67 kW) 2.6 litre I6 engine (also used by Willys do Brasil for passenger cars). The Universals came with a three-speed manual transmission. The Brazilian built vehicles are easily recognized by their squared-off rear wheel openings. In 1961, a long wheelbase version, similar to the CJ6 was added to the line.
On 9 October 1967, Ford do Brasil bought Willys' Brazilian arm and took over the production of the short-wheelbase CJ5 (and the Willys Jeep Station Wagon-based "Rural" and Pick-up) and kept building them with no changes aside from some Ford badging on the rear and on the flanks. In the 1970s, Ford updated the car with a locally built 2.3 litre four-cylinder engine (also used in the Brazilian-built Maverick) and a four-speed manual transmission. This engine developed 91 PS (67 kW) (SAE) at 5000 rpm. In 1980, the engine was modified to run on alcohol (E100), and this option lasted to 1983.
|Engine||134 cu in (2.2 L) Willys Hurricane I4 192 cu in (3.1 L) Perkins Diesel 225 cu in (3.7 L) Dauntless V6 151 cu in (2.5 L) Iron Duke I4 232 cu in (3.8 L) AMC I6 258 cu in (4.2 L) AMC I6 304 cu in (5.0 L) AMC V8|
|Wheelbase||101 in (2,565 mm) (1955-1971) 104 in (2,642 mm) (1972-1981)|
The CJ-6 was simply a 20-inch (508 mm) longer-wheelbase (101 in, 1955-1971 - 104 in, 1972–1981) CJ-5. Introduced in 1955 as a 1956 model, the CJ-6 was never very popular in the United States. Most CJ6 models were sold to Sweden and South America. The U.S. Forest Service put a number of CJ-6 Jeeps in to use. American sales ended in 1975. Just 50,172 had been made when the series went out of production completely in 1981. Just as in the CJ-5, the V6 and V8 engine choices appeared in 1965 and 1972. Former President Ronald Reagan owned a CJ-6 and used it on his California Ranch.The Military version, the M-170, actually entered production in 1953. It shares many of the features of the M38A1 (Military CJ-5), but had the passenger door opening extended back to the rear wheel well. Most were used as front-line field ambulances, able to carry 4 litters. A few were also used as radio units.
The Brazilian Willys factory developed a version of the CJ5 very similar to the CJ6, offered with either two or four doors. Called the "Willys Jeep 101" it shared the chassis of the local Rural, a redesigned Willys Jeep Station Wagon. Like the Brazilian-made CJ5s, the 101 has square rear wheel openings. This version was introduced in 1961 but was not retained after Ford's takeover in the fall of 1967.
From 1964 to 1968 Kaiser elevated the Tuxedo Park from just a trim package to a separate model for the CJ-5A and CJ-6A. A Tuxedo Park Mark IV is signified by a different prefix from a normal CJ-5 with a VIN prefix of 8322, while a normal CJ-5 VIN prefix is 8305 from 1964 to 1971.