|Engine||3.6L EC I6|
The PV801 (with a glass division between the front and rear seat) and the PV802 (without the glass division) were introduced in 1938 and superseded the TR670 Series. The chassis and body were all new but the side-valve engine was the same as in the older cars. The front end was also used on Volvo’s smallest lorry, the LV100 Series.
The PV802 could be used as a spare ambulance. After folding all seats on the car’s right side, a stretcher could be loaded through the bootlid. Volvo continued to build commercial chassis versions, which were often used as basis for proper ambulances.
During the Second World War Volvo built a four-wheel drive off-road vehicle, called Terrängpersonvagn m/43 (TPV), for the Swedish Armed Forces. The mechanical parts were based on Volvo’s smaller lorries and the body came from the Sow.
- PV800: 1940-47, 37 cars built, commercial chassis
- PV801: 1938-47, 550 cars built, with glass partition
- PV802: 1938-47, 1081 cars built, without glass partition
- PV810: 1938-47, 180 cars built, commercial chassis on 3,550 mm (139.8 in) wheelbase
- TPV: 1944-46, 210 cars built, military off-road vehicle