Harris Six (Wisconsin Automobile Corporation)
The company was founded in 1918 in Chicago , Illinois . At first, it made tractors . In 1919, the company moved to Menasha in Wisconsin . In 1922, the production of automobiles was announced. For this purpose, blueprints were purchased from Winther Motors . In 1923, the name changed to Wisconsin Automobile Corporation . Christ Walter became president while DG Harris remained vice president. AB Jensen acted as treasurer, JG Sailer as secretary and AF Reinecker as assistant. A little later the request was followed by bankruptcy . During the bankruptcy emerged about nine or six to ten passenger cars . The brand name was Harris Six , named after the vice president. The bankruptcy ensued.
The Harris Six was the by-product of the U.S. Tractor Co., Which moved to Menasha from Chicago in 1919 and which produced the Uncle Sam Tractor, an export piece Of machinery. Shortly after its arrival in the Badger State, the company changed it is name to the U. S. Tractor and Machinery Company. Somewhere between that time and early 1923, the decision was made to market a passenger car to be sold both domestically and for the export market. In those days, several auto- mobiles were being nmufactured in this country for sales overseas and the idea was a popular one.
The disc wheeled sport phaeton, complete with sidemounted spare wheels, glass wind wings, spotlight, front and rear bumpers and trunk.
The car looked almost exactly like the contemporary Winther car (below) but with disc wheels,which had been built in Kenosha, Wisconsin up until a few months before. This is hardly surprising as it's assets had been taken over by none Other than Mr. Harris.
The phaeton was listed at $1 ,485. Two other more standard-looking varieties were cited, the five-passenger touring Car and the five- passenger "All year" which was apparently the same with the California-top treatment. These mdels were to sell at $1 ,275 and $1 ,675 respectively.
Features the highest priced Warner transmission being used with a multiple disc clutch and a 120" wheel base. By this time the U.S. Tractor 8 Machinery Company had undergone a further metamorphosis and the company was now billed as the Wisconsin Automotive .
The tractors were called Uncle Sam . The first version was the 12-20 . This was followed by the 20-30 . This had a four-cylinder engine from the Beaver Manufacturing Company . The engine came from Herschell-Spillman . It was a six-cylinder engine of the type Model 40 with L-head . The chassis had 305 cm wheelbase .
Automotive manufacturer of United States from 1918 to 1923.