Pope-Waverley was an American car brand under which the Pope Motor Car Company , headquartered in Toledo, Ohio,manufactured electric cars at its plant in Indianapolis, Indiana . The factory was originally founded in 1898 as the Indiana Bicycle Company for the manufacture of bicycles and renamed American Bicycle Company in 1900 . In 1903 it became the International Motor Car Company and in the same year incorporated Colonel Albert A. Pope as Waverley Division of his Pope Motor Car Company. In 1908, the company sold the plant again to local investors who called it Waverley Company continued until 1916.
1904 Pope-Waverley Electric car
The Pope-Waverley Chelsea of 1904 was a runabout for two passengers and cost 1,100 US $. The single electric motor sat in the rear of the vehicle and made 2.2 kW. The car had 30 batteries.
The same year, the Pope-Waverley Road Wagon was a smaller car. It had space for two people and in addition a rear cargo area. The price was $ 850. The single electric motor was installed at the rear and also delivered 2.2 kW. The car had a battery with 24 cells and reached speeds of 8 km/h, or 24 km/h, depending on the circuit of the engine.
Also, the Pope-Waverley Edison Battery Wagon , another runabout, was built in 1904. He had Edison batteries with 48 cells. The two-seat car cost $ 2,250. The electric motor was installed at the rear.
The Pope-Waverley Tonneau , a touring car with 5-seat tonneau construction, was also built in 1904 and cost $ 1,800. Rear two electric motors were installed, each of 2.2 kW. In acceleration mode even 8.9 kW were available. The car had a structure with planked wooden frame. The energy storage served 40 batteries and the top speed was 24 km / h.
1911 Pope Silent Waverley Electric car