Columbus Electric (Columbus Buggy Company)
New Columbus Buggy Company , previously Columbus Buggy Company , was an American manufacturer of automobiles .
Clinton D. Firestone, George Peters and Oscar Peters had with her since the 1860s Iron Buggy Company experience in the construction of carriages collected. In 1875 they sold the company and founded the Columbus Buggy Company . The seat was in Columbus , Ohio . At first, they also made carriages. 1900 were over 1000 people employed.
1903 came the production of automobiles. The brand name was Columbus Electric . In December 1905, the Springfield Automobile Company and its designer CC Bramwell was taken over. He developed Passenger cars with gasoline engines . They were distributed from 1907 as Columbus and from 1909 as Firestone-Columbus . In January 1913 it came to bankruptcy , whereupon the creditors took over the enterprise. George Lattimer became president.
Firestone founded the Columbus Electric Vehicle Company in August 1913 along with Treasurer OH Perry . They planned the production of passenger cars and commercial vehicles . There were rumors that he wanted to take over the old company. The plans failed. Firestone died on February 22, 1914.
Instead, in May 1914, a group of Buffalo businessmen headed by Charles A. Finnegan of the ER Thomas Motor Car Company took over the company. The new company name was New Columbus Buggy Company . Lattimer soon lost his post. Likewise, many employees had to leave the company. There were only a few vehicles crafted by hand. There were also carriages, automobiles with electric motor and those with gasoline engine. In May 1915, the plant was sold and the company dissolved.
These were electric cars . From 1903 to 1905 there was only one model. The setup was described as Folding Top Runabout . The petrol cars .These vehicles were highwheeler . They had an air-cooled two-cylinder engine . 101.6 mm bore and 101.6 mm stroke yielded 1647 cc displacement . The engine power of 10 hp was transmitted via belts to the rear axle. The chassis had 183 cm wheelbase. The open body could accommodate two people. It was steered with a steering lever.
1906 were three models in the range. These were No. 100 as Victoria - Phaeton , No. 1100 as Surrey and No. 1102 as Station Wagon , a kind of station wagon , and as Inside Operated Coupé .
In 1907, there were chassis with two different wheelbases . Model 1000 as Runabout and Model 1002 as Coupé had 175 cm wheelbase, Model 1100 as Surrey and Model 1102 as Station Wagon on the other hand 226 cm wheelbase.
In 1908 the Model 1000 was called Phaeton. Coupé and Surrey remained unchanged.
In 1909, five models were on offer. Model 1000 as Stanhope , Model 1001 also as Stanhope and Model 1002 as coupe had 188 cm wheelbase. The Surrey named Model 1100 had 218 cm wheelbase and the brougham called Model 1202 193 cm wheelbase.
In the following year names, wheelbases and bodies were changed again. Model 1000 as Phaeton, Model 1001 as Victoria and Model 1202 as coupe had 191 cm wheelbase. The Model 1010 was a runabout body and had 211 cm wheelbase.
In 1911 there was again a Stanhope with the Model 1000 . He had as well as the Model 1002 as Coupé 191 cm wheelbase. The Model 1220 was a longer coupe with 224 cm wheelbase.
In 1912 there were only coupes. The model 1202 had 196 cm wheelbase and the model 1220 as in the previous year 224 cm.
1913, the superstructures were called Colonial Coupe . For the Model 1230 , the wheelbase was 218 cm, and for the Model 1234 and Model 1250 it was 234 cm.
In 1914, the only change was that the Model 1250 now had 254 cm wheelbase.
For the last year 1915 the designations New Columbus Model 1230 and New Columbus Model 1234 are handed down. They were coupes with 218 cm or 234 cm wheelbase.