Marr Auto Car
The Marr Auto Car was an automobile built in Elgin, Illinois by the Marr Auto Car Company from 1903-1904.
The Marr was a two seat runabout with a single-cylinder 1.7L engine that was mounted under the seat. The engine was the world's first with valves in the head or "overhead valves," but it did not have rocker arms and push rods because it had overhead cams and developed 6 horsepower , also a first. The vehicle had the first tilt steering wheel, changeable speed gears on a planetary transmission and a revolutionary new carburetor.
Unfortunately the plant burnt to the ground in August 1904 with 14 cars inside. Only one Marr Auto Car exists today.
The car was designed by early automobile pioneer Walter L. Marr who had worked as an engine designer for Buick in 1901 and went on to be Chief Engineer there from 1904-1918. This car is believed to have the first OHC engine produced in the world, as well as the first OHV engine.
Automotive historians credit Marr and his advanced designs with the early success of Buick which was the foundation for General Motors.