Elcar (Elkhart Carriage Company)
The Elcar was an American automobile manufactured from 1915 until 1931. The car was produced by the Elkhart Carriage Company, owned by William and George Pratt, of Elkhart, Indiana, which had been in business for over 30 years before producing its first car.
Elcar model D from 1917
This was the 30/35 hp Elkhart, which began production in 1905 and remained on the market until 1909. In 1909 the 4·2 liter Sterling appeared (it ceased production in 1911), followed in 1911 by the Komet.
The Elcar appeared in 1915, and was first offered in two models, a Lycoming-engined four and a Continental-engined six. A straight-eight, again with a Continental engine, was produced beginning in 1925. In 1930, the company began to use the complex Lever engine produced by Alvah Leigh Powell, although only four Elcar-Levers were completed.
Elcar 8-80 Sedan car
1925 8:80 specifications
- Seating Capacity – Seven
- Wheelbase – 127 inches
- Wheels – Steel or wood
- Tires - 32” x 6.20” balloon
- Service Brakes – Hydraulic, contracting on four wheels
- Emergency Brakes – Contracting on front universal
- Engine - Eight cylinder, vertical, cast en block, 3-1/8 x 4-1/4 inches (260.78 c.i.d.; 4.273 liters); valves in side; H.P. 31
- Lubrication – Full force feed
- Crankshaft - Five bearing
- Radiator – Cellular type
- Cooling – Water pump
- Ignition – Storage Battery
- Starting System – Single Unit
- Voltage – Six
- Wiring System – Single
- Gasoline System – Vacuum
- Clutch – Dry plate
- Transmission – Selective sliding
- Gear Changes – 3 forward, 1 reverse
- Drive – Hotchkiss
- Springs – Semi-elliptic
- Rear Axle – Three-quarter floating
- Steering Gear – Cam and lever
New York City contract
It next entered a lucrative contract within New York City, under which it would supply "El-Fay" taxis to Larry Fay, a prominent businessman and clubowner.
Fay's resources were badly hit by the Great Depression, and Fay himself was eventually shot dead in 1933 by a disgruntled employee. A project to market the 1930 Elcar as a 1931 Mercer came to nothing, and, despite the efforts of bankruptcy trustee and Interim President Arthur Martin Graffis, the company folded after only two prototypes had been constructed.