Anhut Motor Car Company
American Automotive manufacture Detroit, Michigan USA From 1909 to 1910
The Anhut was an automobile manufactured in Detroit, Michigan, by the Anhut Motor Car Company from 1909-1910.
The company was founded by politician John Nicholson Anhut and the factory was located at 510 Howard Street in Detroit. Detroit mayor Philip Breitmeyer was vice-president of the company.
Their vehicle, known as the Anhut 6, used a six-cylinder overhead valve engine of 3.7L displacement. with 36HP and sliding gear transmission .
Three body styles were offered: a roadster,at $1700 a Pony tonneau and tourer, at $1800 .In mid-1910, Anhut relinquished control of the company in order to concentrate on his upcoming re-election to the Michigan State Senate.
The company was taken over by factory superintendent HC Barnes, who re-organised the company into the Barnes Motor Car Company in September 1910.Barnes planned to build a six-cylinder engined car for $2,250 and a four-cylinder engined car for $1,400, but the company was bankrupt by November 1910.
In January 1911 the physical remains of the company was sold to the Autoparts Company of Detroit, who specialised in buying up the assets of automobile companies that had gone out of business.