|Production||1923 to 1926|
Manufactured by Tatra Works Shareholding Co, Kopiivnice, Czechoslovakia The chassis construction of the 1930s favoured independent wheel suspension. The pioneer work in this field was done by the Czechoslovak Tatra works which in 1923 announced the first production car with independent suspension.
The Tatra 11. It was powered by a 1056 cc flat, air-cooled, twin-cylinder engine with valves in the cylinder head. It had bore and stroke of 82 x 100mm and developed 8.8kW (12hp) at 2800 rpm. The engine was fan-cooled. Ignition was provided by a Bosch magneto. The engine block, with a clutch and a gearbox, was bolted to the central tubular frame. The drive was transmitted through a dry triple-plate clutch and a four- speed gearbox to the rear axle. Semi-elliptic transverse leaf springs were fitted front and rear. Until 1926 only the rear wheels were fitted with brakes: the Tatra 12 was the first to have mechanical brakes on all four wheels.
The car was supplied in various body versions. As a two- seater version it weighed 680kg (15001b) and could reach 70km/h (44mph).
The car also made its mark in the racing field. A Tatra 11 won the first prize in the 1924 Stuttgart Solitude circuit. In the following year Tatra became the absolute winner of the longest Russian race, covering 5300 km (3290 mi) Leningrad-Moscow-Charkov-Rostov-Tbilisi, and beating 78 competitors. In the same year two Tatra IIS came first and second in their class on the Targa Florio circuit in Italy.