|Production||1911 to 1925|
|Body and chassis|
Stutz Bearcat Manufactured in 1911 by Ideal Motor Car, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA and later as Stutz.
The name of this American firm is linked with successes on the Indianapolis track. The company was established in 1911 under thename of Ideal Motor Car. It was founded by Harry D. Stutz, who came to fame in the first Indianapolis 500, in which he drove a sports car fitted with a 5000 cc four-cylinder Wisconsin engine. In 1912, after the company had been renamed Stutz, it announced its new Bearcat model, which was soon among the most popular
American sports cars of the period. The Bearcat was fitted with a 6396 cc four-cylinder water-cooled engine developing 44.1kW (60hp) at 1500 rpm. It was a typical racer, without bodywork in the true sense of the word, fitted with a long bonnet, two anatomic seats, and a 'Monocle Windshield' for the driver only. The car's rear consisted of a giant fuel tank and two spare tyres. Among the design novelties was the connection of a three-speed gearbox to a differential on the rearaxle. This is known as the transaxle arrangement, and has been revived in recent years.
In 1926 Stutz introduced his sensational 'safety Stutz', fitted with hydraulic brakes on all four wheels. The in-line eight-cylinder engine,with camshaft in the cylinder head, developed 67.7mW (92hp) at 3200 rpm. Among other features were the centrally lubricated chassis and a windshield. With every purchase the company also arranged for free insurance of the crew for one year.
the Stutz Bearcat is 120 "shortness of the chassis is in the connection of the forked yoke of the forward of the torque tube. Instead of having connection made to a cross frame member a face plate has bolted over the rear end Of the clutch housing and the Of the torque yoke.The clutch is a cone, power transmission is through a three-speed gearbox, the rear system is a Stutz, the front axle Timken and the drive and control are on the right. Speedometer and Hartford shocks .
In the early 1930s Stutz tried to make his mark in the range of luxuy cars. He developed the DV model, which stood for Dual Valves. It was an eight-cylinder with four valves per cylinder and a top speed Of 160km/h (100mph). But the commercial failure of this car spelled the end for Stutz.