SS Jaguar Mk IV 2½ Litre
1935 to 1948
|Production||1935–1948 6281 made|
|Body style||4-door saloon 2-door drophead coupé|
|Engine||2,664 cc (2.7 l)|
|Wheelbase||1935–1937: 119 in (3,020 mm) 1938–1948: 120 in (3,050 mm)|
|Length||186 in (4,720 mm)|
|Width||66 in (1,680 mm)|
The Jaguar Mark IV (pronounced mark four) is an automobile built by Jaguar from 1945 to 1949. It was a relaunch of a pre-Second World War model made by SS Cars Ltd from 1936.
Before the Second World War the name Jaguar was the model name given to the complete range of cars built by SS Cars Ltd.
The saloons were titled SS Jaguar 1½ litre, 2½ litre or 3½ litre. The two-seater sports car was titled the SS Jaguar 100 2½ litre or 3½ litre.
After the war the company name was changed to Jaguar Cars Ltd. Although the post-war saloons were officially the Jaguar 1½ litre, 2½ litre etc., the term "Mark IV" was sometimes applied retrospectively by the trade to differentiate them from the officially named Mark V.
All the cars were built on a separate chassis frame with suspension by semi-elliptic leaf springs front and rear.
Again the engine was sourced from Standard but had the cylinder head reworked by SS to give 105 bhp. Unlike the 1½ Litre there were some drophead models made post-war.
The chassis was originally of 119 in (3,020 mm) but grew by an inch (25 mm) in 1938 to 120 in (3,050 mm). The extra length over the 1½ Litre was used for the six-cylinder engine and the passenger accommodation was the same size.
SS Jaguar Mk IV 2½ Litre logo badge