(1961 to 1963)
The Reliant Sabre (also "Sabre Four") and the Reliant Sabre Six were small two-seater sports cars produced by Reliant between 1961 and 1964.
Developed in collaboration with the Israeli motor company Autocars, the first Sabres appeared in 1961 as two-door convertibles, front-engined, rear-drive, with four-cylinder OHV Ford Consul (later "Zephyr 4") engines of 1,703 cc. They had front disc brakes, rack and pinion steering, and a ZF all-synchro gearbox. The front suspension was an unusual leading-arm set-up. Power output was 73 bhp (54 kW) giving at least 90 mph (140 km/h). The bodyshells were originally based upon the Ashley 1172 to which Reliant had acquired the rights. Coupés were introduced in June 1962, and total production reached 208 cars.
A 1964 Reliant Sabre Six GT rear view
In 1962 the Reliant Sabre Six was introduced, with a 109 bhp (81 kW) six-cylinder Ford engine of 2,553 cc, capable of 110 mph (180 km/h) and 0-60 mph in 12.2 seconds. The nose of the car was different from the earlier Sabres, and all but the first 17 Sabre Sixes had more conventional suspension, taken from the Triumph TR4. From a production total of 77, 75 were coupés and just two were convertibles.
Reliant Sabre dimensions