PEUGEOT 7.6-litre Grand Prix car history
|Vehicle technical details|
|Body and chassis|
|Body styles:||grand prix open body|
|Engine and Powertrain|
|Engine Type:||four vertical cylinders|
|Displacement:||Bore & Stroke: 110 x 200mm|
|Bore & Stroke:||110 x 200mm|
The PEUGEOT 7.6-litre Grand Prix car was built in France and used for racing in 1912 .
In the 1912 Grand Prix Georges Boillot drove this car to beat the chain-driven Fiats (which had nearly double the engine capacity) at 110.16km/h (68.45mph). Goux won the 1912 Coupe de la Sarthe,
and the 1913 Indianapolis 500-Mile Race at 122.2km/h (75.9mph).
Peugeot was the first to introduce what became the standard features of motor racing engines - with the twin ohcs actuating four valves at the head of each cylinder, two inlets allowing the mixture of air and fuel to enter and two exhausts.
During 1912 and 1913, this new feature led to Peugeot's dominance in GP racing, only challenged by Mercedes in 1914.
The large 7,603cc Capacity engine a four vertical cylinders; four inclined ohvs, per cylinder operated by twin cams (ohcs) with a power output of 130bhp at 2,200rpm Gears: four-speed Bore & Stroke: 110 x 200mm