Morris Six MS
|Production||1948–1953 12,400 made|
|Body and chassis|
|Body style||4-door saloon|
|Engine||2215 cc Straight-6 overhead cam|
|Wheelbase||88 in (2,200 mm)|
|Length||177 in (4,500 mm)|
|Width||65 in (1,700 mm)|
|Height||63 in (1,600 mm)|
The Morris Six MS was a six-cylinder midsize car from Morris Motors Limited made from 1948 to 1953. It was the company's first post war six-cylinder car. At launch the car was priced at £671 on the UK market.
The car was very similar to the 1948 Issigonis designed Morris Oxford series MO sharing the same bodyshell from the windscreen backwards. The bonnet was lengthened to take the overhead camshaft, single SU carburettor, 2215 cc six-cylinder engine which produced 70 bhp (52 kW) at 4800 rpm.The whole car was longer than the Oxford with a wheelbase of 110 inches (2,800 mm) against 97 inches (2,500 mm). Suspension was independent at the front using torsion bars and at the rear there was a conventional live axle and semi elliptic springs. The steering was not by the rack and pinion fitted to the Oxford but used a lower geared Bishop Cam system. The 10 inches (250 mm) drum brakes were hydraulically operated using a Lockheed system.
The design was shared with Nuffield Organisation stable-mate Wolseley as the 6/80.
A car tested by the British magazine The Motor in 1950 had a top speed of 82.5 mph (132.8 km/h) and could accelerate from 0-60 mph (97 km/h) in 22.4 seconds. A fuel consumption of 20 miles per imperial gallon (14 L/100 km; 17 mpg-US) was recorded. The test car cost £671 including taxes.
In 1950 the rear axle ratio was lowered to improve acceleration and twin dampers fitted to the front torsion bar independent suspension.
A de-luxe version was announced at the 1953 London Motor Show with leather upholstery, a heater and over-riders on the front bumpers.