Morgan Plus 4 (1950-1961)
|Manufacturer||Morgan Motor Company|
1950-19614,584 produced 1985-2000 2005-date
|Assembly||Malvern, Worcestershire, England|
|Body style||2-door convertible|
2088 cc I4(Standard) 1991 cc I4(Triumph) 2138 cc I4(Triumph) 2.0l 1985-1988 I4 (Fiat) 1988-1992 I4 (Rover)2005-present: 2.0L I4 (Ford)
|Wheelbase||96 in (2,438 mm)|
|Length||145 in (3,683 mm)|
|Width||56 in (1,422 mm)|
|Height||52 in (1,321 mm)|
|Curb weight||1,848 lb (838 kg) 1,848 lb (838 kg) (Super Sports)|
|Related||Morgan 4/4 Morgan Plus 8|
The Morgan Plus 4 (or +4) is a larger and more powerful version of the Morgan Motor Company's 4/4 model and was made between 1950 and 1969. The model was revived in 1985 and filled the gap between the 4/4 and the Plus 8 until 2000; it was again revived in 2005.
After World War II Morgan had re-introduced their 4/4 model fitted with a 1267 cc Standard engine. This continued in production until 1950 when it was replaced by the larger Plus 4 announced at the 1950 Earl's Court Motor Show. In 1955 the 4/4 model re-appeared in phase II form.
The Plus 4 was fitted with a 2088 cc engine based on that used in the Standard Vanguard fitted in a strengthened and longer chassis. Hydraulic brakes, at first all drum, were fitted for the first time on a Morgan.
In 1953 a higher performance version was announced with the 1991 cc I4 engine as used in the Triumph TR3. The radiator grille was now surrounded by a cowl that blended into the bonnet. Front disc brakes became an option in 1959 and were standardised in 1960. From 1962 the engine was the Triumph TR4 unit, which increased displacement to 2138 cc.
Also at the 1962 Geneva Motor Show.
On display at the official Morgan stand the very unofficial Morgan +4 Ashley Sportiva Coupe developed by the then Swiss Morgan Importer.
Details are displayed on the Morgan +4 Ashley Coupe Story website.
Body styles available were a 2 seat sports, 4 seat sports and more luxurious 2 or 4 seat drophead coupé (4 seat coupé 1954-1956 only).
One of the interesting quirks of the Plus 4 was that the engine cowling fitted so closely to the engine that there was no room for an air filter. Some owners stretched cheesecloth over the carburettor as a field-expedient.
A racing version, the Plus 4 Super Sports was available from 1962 with tuned engine and lightweight body.
Chris Lawrence and Richard Shepherd-Barron won the 1601-2000cc GT class at the 1962 24 Hours of Le Mans driving a Plus Four. The class winning car, chassis number 4840, was originally registered XRX 1 in 1961, then changed to TOK 258 from late 1961 through mid-1964 (at least different 4 Morgans have carried the TOK 258 registration number). It was sold by Chris Lawrence to A. Dence in 1964 and the registration was changed to JHX 142B.
A TR3 engined two seater car was tested by the British magazine The Motor in 1958. It was found to have had a top speed of 100.3 mph (161.4 km/h) and could accelerate from 0-60 mph (97 km/h) in 9.7 seconds. A fuel consumption of 27.1 miles per imperial gallon (10.4 L/100 km; 22.6 mpg-US) was recorded. The test car cost £1017 including taxes of £340.
A (Revived) 1992 Morgan Plus-4 Wheeler Dealers series 9