Marcos Engineering Ltd. Cars history
|Founder(s)||Jem Marsh Frank Costin|
|Key people||Tony Stelliga director|
Marcos was founded in in [Dolgelli North Wales , in 1959 by Jem Marsh and Frank Costin. Costin had earlier worked on the De Havilland Mosquito fighter-bombers and from there he got the idea to use plywood for the chassis. The company moved to a converted mill in Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire in 1963 and in 1971 to a £125,000 purpose-built factory at nearby Westbury.
Problems with exporting cars to the USA and the move to the expensive new premises led to financial troubles, and in 1971 Marcos went out of business. In July 1971 it was reported that the Rob Walker Group of Companies, a principal dealer, had acquired the stocks and assets and established a new company, Marcos Ltd.The new owners said production would continue, albeit, at least in the short term, only for the UK market, but it is not clear whether any additional cars were built. Although Marcos dealers in the UK had been heavily discounting new cars since the end of 1970, and Motor magazine reported at the time of the collapse that the company's stock of 35 unsold cars in the USA had had to be "liquidated", there may have been a substantial stock of new cars still looking for buyers.
The first Marcos, the Marcos Xylon of 1959, was a sight-strange car with gullwing doors, free-standing front wheels and a four-piece windscreen. For the construction was only Frank Costinresponsible, who for the first time implemented his idea of a plywood monocoque in racing car construction. The series car (1961) was compared to the prototype only less radical, but had covered with a hood front wheels and internal headlights under Plexiglas covers. After only seven copies and the departure of Costin from the Marcos project was under the direction of the Adams brothers, a revision of the body shape to a more pleasing appearance, the plywood chassis was now designed without a subframe for engine, front and rear even more radical on lightweight. From this vehicle, the Luton Gullwing, 13 vehicles were manufactured, which were preferably used in national and international motorsport.
One Saturday in June 1972, what was described as "a cash jumble sale of Marcos bits – prototype and shop soiled components, benches, tools..." took place at what could now be characterized as the "old Marcos Cars factory" at Westbury.The sale was occasioned by the company's reorganisation and move to a smaller factory.
Jem Marsh stayed in the car business, and bought back the rights to the Marcos name in 1976. In 1981 the brand was relaunched with the Marcos V6 Coupé, which was sold in kit form.
Marcos went bankrupt again in 2000. Canadian entrepreneur Tony Stelliga bought the company, and revived production in 2002. Race car production was relocated to the Netherlands while road car production moved to Kenilworth, Warwickshire, England. By 2005 most of the designers from near-to-bankrupt TVR had joined the company.
On 9 October 2007 it was again announced that Marcos would cease production and go into voluntary liquidation.