1953 to 1956
Petrol : V8
The Packard 300 (pronounced Three-Hundred ) was a car that was built in the model years of 1
The Packard Caribbean was a passenger car produced by the Packard Motor Car Company in Detroit for the 1953 to 1956 model years.
The inspiration for the Caribbean was the Show Car Packard Pan American , which Henney Motor Company had built at its own responsibility the previous year. It was a three-seat sports convertible based on the Packard Convertible Coupe . A total of 6 copies at a unit price of $ 10,000 were built. This would have resulted in a list price of $ 18,000 indisputable. Packard boss Nance wanted to give such an image carrier in the program around the mark again glamor. Therefore, the new Packard chief designer Richard A. Teague was commissioned, a luxury Cabriolet with Pan American elements but that could be offered at a more realistic price.
Teague also started from the standard convertible. As a significant factor for the increase in price was waived a three-seat interpretation. The result was the Caribbean, which was manufactured from 1953 to 1955 only as a convertible. In the last model year 1956, a hardtop model was added.
There is some irony in the fact that not Henney was the "inventor" of the concept the contract for the series production, but the rival firm Mitchell-Bentley Corporation in Ionia (Michigan) which simply offered the remodeling much cheaper. Again, they went from factory convertible from which Packard delivered partially assembled. By far the most expensive conversion work was to make the body lower analog Pan American by cutting about 15 cm of sheet metal from the flanks. This brought enormous adjustments all around and in the interior after. The mechanical components were taken over unchanged by the convertible ; The only available engine was the eight-cylinder- Inline engine with 7-speed crankshaft , 5,358 cc (327 cc) displacement and 180 bhp (134 kW) also used in the Packard Cavalier and Mayfair . The top engine with 9-fold crankshaft was thus reserved for the (much cheaper) Patrician .
The Caribbean was probably the easiest to identify Packard model. Although he had the same radiator grille with a ribbed central bar as the other expensive models, but the hood had a broad but non-functional air scoop only with him and was not for a hood ornament provided. The rear wheel wells were cut out circular in contrast to the other models had no casing around the standard chrome wire wheels of Kelsey-Hayes to get better. The only chrome trim on the flank was a trim strip that ran low on the underside of the body over the entire length of the car and around the wheel cutouts. A spare wheel with steel wheel cover in the middle of the stern (Continental Kit ) was part of the basic equipment. Also standard were high-quality, thickly padded leather seats. Most Caribbean were also well equipped, the Ultramatic automatic transmission and electric windows were in the first year to the extra charge extras. The official color palette of the Caribbean was limited to the colors Polaris Blue, Golf Green Metallic, Maroon Brown Metallic and Sahara Sand Colors. Packard was, as always, ready to fulfill special requests; Therefore, some Caribbean were painted in ivory and black.
The 1953 Caribbean is part of Packard's 26th series and, due to the circumstances, the first model that Richard Teague designed for the company. With a list price of $ 5,210 (versus $ 3,476 for the 250 Convertible), the Caribbean was by far the most expensive model on a standard Packard chassis, moving at a level comparable to GM's Dream Car Trio.
The first Caribbean is the formally restrained and therefore particularly successful. In the first year 750 copies were made and these cars are very much sought after by collectors today. Well restored copies today regularly cost six-digit dollar amounts.
The Caribbean received the slight facelift of the remaining Packard series. Like the other upscale models Patrician , Cavalier , Pacific and Convertible , he also got headlamp housing with "fins" to differentiate him from the cheaper Clipper models. However, his appearance remained independent even if the wheel cutouts were not completely rounded and a new chrome band enabled a fashionable two-tone paint. Just behind the door was a Packard logo. The standard equipment was richer than any other model and included, among other things, power steering and brakes, the new Gear Start-Ultramatic, electric adjustment for windows and front seat, two-part heating / ventilation, windscreen washer, two ashtrays in front, the well-known Continental spare wheel with shuttering, spoke wheels and wide white wall tires.
In the course of the facelift, all the aforementioned, upscale models received a further development of the large inline eight-cylinder engine. It had grown to a displacement of 5,834 cc (356 cc) and there was only the version with 9-bearing crankshaft and the power was 212 bhp (158 kW) higher than that of the Cadillac V8 in the same year; the culmination of years of experience with this engine design. The choices were the four colors Chariot Red , Polaris Blue , Gulf Green and Black; all in combination with Arctic White for the front part of the body.
In total, only 400 Caribbean were produced this year, more than in any other year.
For the model year 1955, the Caribbean was like all Packard completely revised. Finally, there was also a coupe on the long wheelbase ( 400 ). The standard Cabriolet accounted for. Also the Caribbean came now on the long chassis with 3.226 mm (127 in).
Of the simpler models, the Caribbean differed by two air intake dummies on the hood instead of the radiator figure. The ContinentalReplacement wheel was gone, but a three-color paint was standard. It consisted of a white body shell. Two parallel strips of chrome ran straight down the length of the car; the upper rose steeply just before the rear end. The area in between limited the second hue. It was interrupted about 30 cm behind the door by a chrome element. In it sat a lamp that served as a position light when the light was on, and shone brighter when the door was opened to illuminate the floor when leaving. The third shade ran longitudinally between the sill and the lower chrome strip. In addition to the four color combinations offered ex works, each additional one was possible on request as long as it was approved by Teagues design department. The interior was also tricolor (leather) and matched to the exterior color.
For the first time the new brand logo ("V" over a circle) was used; However, the traditional coat of arms is still in the center. The boot lid had been taken over from the previous model and also wore its chrome element with conventional coat of arms. The triangular tail lights also received the new logo.
Technically, the Caribbean was again closely related to the other major Packard models. He received the larger of two new V8 engines with 5801 cc (352 cc), but also a Rochester Vergaseranlage with two quadruple carburettors and a special mixture guide. In addition, the engine was slightly higher compressed. All this brought the power to 290 SAE-PS at 4800 / min. With that, Packard was reputed to be the maker of the world's most powerful production car, if generously ignoring the limited-edition Chrysler C-300 .
Of course, also included the new automatic transmission "Twin Ultramatic", "EasAmatic" power brakes, a Gemmer power steering and "Torsion Level Ride", the innovative torsion bar suspension with electromotive level control, as well as the basic equipment such as the electro-hydraulically operated hood, Kelsey-Hayes-spoke wheels, " Wonderbar "radio with automatic station search, electric windows and seat adjustment, tinted windows, etc. The short list of accessories included only the air conditioning.As a result of the purchase of a new bodywork shortened model year (January 17 to November 2, 1955) 500 Caribbean were built at a price of $ 5,932.
In 1956, the Caribbean became its own luxury model series and a hardtop model was added. The differences in the exterior fittings compared to the previous year's model were not great at first glance. Like the rest of the Packard models, the barges got bigger over the headlights, the front bumper horns moved further apart and changed the pattern of the radiator grille. The deposited grid of anodized aluminum was now also available for the ventilation slots under the bumper. Soon after the introduction of the 56 Packard series, this grid was changed from colorless ("aluminum colored") to gold anodized. The new brand logo introduced a year earlier (a "V" above a circle) was more strongly emphasized. The flanks remained unchanged. There was a new, bulbous boot lid for all models, which also graced the new logo. Integrated into the golden circle was the traditional coat of arms, which simultaneously served for unlocking and as a keyhole cover. The cathedral-like taillights lost the incorporated logo. The front parking lights and turn signals as well as the side position lights were now dull instead of clear. Inside, the Caribbean got new seats with removable seat and back cushions. These upholstery was upholstered in leather on one side and bouclé on the other. Inside, the Caribbean got new seats with removable seat and back cushions. These upholstery was upholstered in leather on one side and bouclé on the other. Inside, the Caribbean got new seats with removable seat and back cushions. These upholstery was upholstered in leather on one side and bouclé on the other.
In contrast to the other Packard models again served the hood with two air intake dummies instead of a radiator figure, the full length of the vehicle drawn and at the rear steeply rising stripes, triple (others were available on request) and Kelsey Hayes spoke wheels.
New for the model year 1956, a two-door Caribbean hardtop coupe was available for the first time . It received all the peculiarities of the convertible. The roof was covered with white hypalon , a precursor to the vinyl roof .
The drive for all Packard was an enlarged version of the previous year's V8 engine (6,132 cc) (374 cc). Only in the Caribbean there was a mixture preparation with two quad carburetors. This increased performance from 290 to 310 SAE-PS at 4600 rpm. The in-house automatic transmission "Twin Ultramatic" and the torsion bar suspension "Torsion Level Ride" have been slightly revised. Packard introduced as the first manufacturer ever this year a rear axle with differential lock, called "Twin Traction". "Touch Button", which is also new and available as an option for all Packard and Clipper push-button control for the automatic transmission was standard on the Caribbean.
Packard was this year's provider of the most technically sophisticated and innovative US vehicles and the Caribbean's coronation.
Throughout the model year (November 3, 1955 to September 25, 1956) 263 hardtop models and 276 convertibles were produced. The list price was $ 5,495 for the hardtop and $ 5,995 for the cabriolet.
In June 1956, the Curtiss Wright armaments company took over the Studebaker-Packard Corporation . The production facilities in Detroit were then abandoned, which meant the end for Packard automobiles in the traditional sense and thus for the Caribbean.