Packard 180 (One-Eighty ) range and history
|Packard 180 Vehicle technical details|
|Production:||1940 to 1942|
|Body and chassis|
|Body styles:||coupe,sedan,station wagon,convertible|
|Doors:||two and four-door|
|Engine and Powertrain|
|Engine power||160 HP|
The Packard 180 (pronounced One-Eighty ) was introduced in 1940 by the Packard Motor Car Company to replace the outdated V12 luxury model Twelve and its predecessor Twin Six .
The Type 180 had an eight-cylinder in-line engine with 5833 cc, which developed 160 bhp (119 kW) power. This was marketed as the strongest eight-cylinder of the year 1940. The 5.7-liter Cadillac V8 developed only 150 bhp (112 kW). Packard also used this engine for the 160 model .
All Packard series ( 110 , 120 , 160 and 180) had the same body design, which many later called the reason for the "cheapening" of the formerly exclusive luxury brand. The 180 but offered a finer interior with special upholstery and carpets plus various coach built body options to order. In 1941 and 1942, minor changes were made to the design.
The last copies of the Type 180 left the assembly line in February 1942, because then the Second World War prevented another civilian car production in the US.
In the Soviet Union, the Packard 180 served as a model for the similar ZIS-110 , which was neither an exact copy nor was made on American plants. This served in the entire Eastern bloc as a representative car and was built until 1958.