Packard Super Eight 160 range and history
|Packard 160 Vehicle technical details|
|Production:||1940 to 1942|
|Body and chassis|
|Body styles:||coupe,sedan,station wagon,convertible|
|Doors:||two and four-door|
|Engine and Powertrain|
|Engine power||150 HP|
The Packard 160 (pronounced One-Sixty ) was introduced in 1940 by the Packard Motor Car Company as the successor to the Super Eight model.
Available as a five and eight passenger sedan a 2 and 4 door convertible and clipper coupe also a touring sedan.
The 160 had, like its more luxurious counterpart 180, a 5,833 cc eight-cylinder in-line engine that developed 160 bhp (118 kW) of power. This was marketed as the strongest eight-cylinder in America in 1940. The 5.7-liter Cadillac V8 developed only 150 bhp (110 kW). The engine power was transmitted via a single-disc dry clutch and a manual three-speed gearbox with steering wheel gear to the rear wheels.
All Packard series ( 110 , 120 , 160 and 180 ) had the same body design. The 160 had a simpler equipment than the 180 and had as a cooler figure a goddess instead of the pelican. In 1941 and 1942, minor changes were made to the design.
The last specimens of type 160 left the assembly line in February 1942, because then the Second World War prevented another civilian car production in the US. In three years, 11,767 copies were made.