IFA H6 Truck
|Manufacturer:||VEB automobile plant "Ernst Grube" Werdau|
|designs:||Flatbed, tractor, special bodies|
|Engines:||Six-cylinder diesel engines|
The IFA H6 ( H orch, 6 tons payload) was a medium-heavy truck built in the GDR , which supplemented the truck model range in addition to the parallel developed IFA H3A at the top.
The development of the truck began in the Second World War at the Vogtländische Maschinenfabrik AG (Vomag). Since the Vomag had been completely dismantled and smashed shortly after the Second World War by the Soviet occupying forces , the development was continued at the Auto Union or Horch .
The H6 was presented at the Leipzig Spring Fair in 1951. It was produced from 1952 to 1959 in the VEB motor vehicle plant "Ernst Grube" Werdau , which was part of the Industrieverband Fahrzeugbau (IFA) . Until 1945, these were the Schumann plants in Werdau ( Saxony ). At times, up to 100 vehicles were built each month.
The H6 was then the truck of the GDR with the highest payload and was characterized by its high reliability. After cessation of production, a semi-trailer truck from Gräf & Stift was probably imported to a small extent as a replacement for this heavy truck . The adjustment of production followed RGW -plans according to which heavy trucks should in future be produced by other socialist countries and delivered. Among others were the Tatra and later KamAZ .
The H6 was also part of the streets and cityscapes of the GDR from the 1950s to the 1970s, such as the bus variant H6B .
Successor should be the IFA N7 . After two vehicles, the series production had to be stopped because the GDR (according to RGW decision ) was not allowed to build heavy trucks. Another successor should be the cab control truck AZ57.
The H6 has two axles and is rear wheel driven via a cardan shaft. The truck is a so-called Langhauber (truck with "snout"). The buses and some custom-made cars are designed as cabs.
- Transmission: 5-speed change gear with dog clutch
- Permissible payload: 6 t
- Top speed on the road: 54 km / h, with H6B rear axle about 80 km / h
- Models / superstructure: moving van, juggernauts, Tipper , suitcases , flatbed with tarpaulin, tractor (shorter chassis), crane and truck crane and others.
Most models have been delivered to the water-cooled 6-cylinder - swirl chamber engine of the type EM 6-20 cc's of Werdau with a displacement of 9036 and 120 hp. The development with 9840 cc displacement and 150 hp was available relatively early, but the gearbox did not withstand the power increase, so that the engines had to be throttled. Since increased transmission were available, there was the 150-horsepower engine in series. As part of the repairs received virtually all vehicles this engine. In the diesel engine plant Schönebeckwas based on the H6 engine, the unit developed 6VD14,5 / 12-1SRW with 190 hp, which was intended for construction and agricultural machinery. Since the installation dimensions were very similar to the original, many vehicles were retrofitted with the 190-horsepower engine. Today no received vehicle with 120 HP engine is known.
The trucks H6 and G5 , which were built at the same time in Werdau, have some of the same components. Unlike the G5, the H6 was intended for civilian use.
The H6 was next to the bus H6B in different variants and special designs. Among other things, the VEB special vehicle plant Berlin produced in 1957 a series of 50 excavator suction cars , which made possible for the first time a mechanical cleaning of Gullischächten in the GDR.
In the development of the car- mounted slewing crane Panther was used in part on assemblies of the H6. Starting from the H6, the IFA N7 was designed with a low-frame chassis, it did not go beyond the prototype status.
The successor to the H6, the AZ57 , was fully developed in 1959 and ready for series production. The AZ57 was in contrast to the truck H6 a front handlebar. However, the series production planned from 1960 could not be taken up, since the production of commercial vehicles over 5 tons of payload and buses within the division of labor within the RGW was assigned to other socialist states.