Guy Wulfrunian Bus History
|Guy Wulfrunian from 1959 to 1965|
|Production||1959 to 1965|
|Body and chassis|
When the Wulfrunian was first launched in 1959, it was heralded as one of the most advanced double-deckers ever produced.
With a wheelbase of 15ft 4in it was built as a low-height double-decker with an overall height of 13ft 31/2in, giving normal height decks with centre gangway upstairs.The engine is mounted vertically at the front, although it is offset towards the driver, and the front axle is set back so as to allow the passenger entrance to be ahead of the front wheels.
Alternative engines were offered in the form of the Gardner 6LX unit, or Leyland 0.600 or 0.680 engines. The transmission line runs diagonally across the chassis to a drop centre double reduction rear axle, the gearbox a 4-speed being mounted amidships. Although two gearboxes synchromesh or a 4-speed direct acting epicyclic gearbox with fluid flywheel were offered as alternatives, no chassis were built with the synchromesh gearbox. Air suspension is fitted to all wheels, as are air pressure hydraulically operated disc brakes. Only 137 Wulfrunians were built, the last one being completed in 1965.