AVA Aerodynamic laboratory
Automotive manufacturer of Germany
The Aerodynamic Research Institute (AVA) in Göttingen was one of the four predecessor organizations of the 1969 founded German Research and Experimental Institute for Aerospace , which was renamed the German Aerospace Center (DLR) in 1997 .
The AVA was created in 1919 from the 1907 Göttingen founded by Ludwig Prandtl "Model Research Institute for aerodynamics of the engine airship study society". In its founding years, it was still concerned with the development of the "best" form of airship. In 1908, the first wind tunnel was built in Göttingen for tests on models for aviation. In 1915, founded in 1911 Kaiser Wilhelm Society (KWG) and under the direction of Ludwig Prandtl, the "Modellversuchsanstalt aerodynamics" was founded in 1919 as the "Aerodynamic Research Institute of the Kaiser Wilhelm Society" (AVA) in the KWG and in 1925 in the " Kaiser Wilhelm Institute for Flow Research, connected to the Aerodynamic Research Institute ".
Ludwig Prandtl led the institute until 1937, his successor was Albert Betz . In the same year a spin-off from the institute took place under the name "Aerodynamische Versuchsanstalt Göttingen e. V. in the Kaiser Wilhelm Society ", in which the Reich Aviation Ministry was involved. The remaining after the spin-off part was continued under the name "Kaiser Wilhelm Institute for Flow Research" from the 1948 Max Planck Institute of Flow Research was born (today Max Planck Institute for Dynamics and Self-Organization ).
The AVA was confiscated in 1945 by the British (until 1948), 1953 as "Aerodynamic Research Institute Göttingen e. V. in the Max Planck Society "re-opened and fully integrated in 1956 as the" Aerodynamic Research Institute in the Max Planck Society ".
The experimental vehicle Schlörwagen also called " Göttingen Egg" or "wings on wheels" was a development of the German engineer Karl Schlör of Westhofen-Dirmstein . The 1939 at the Aerodynamic Research Institute (AVA) in Göttingen developed prototype with a body made of aluminum was long considered consistent implementation of aerodynamics in vehicle construction.
The structure of the streamlined car was based on the shape of aircraft wings and was designed for minimal fuel consumption, with seven seats, the car should also serve as a spacious family vehicle.
The Schlörwagen was mounted on a modified chassis of the Mercedes 170 H . The wheelbase was 2.60 meters, the vehicle was 4.33 meters long and 1.48 meters high. The width of 2.10 meters was needed to run the wheels inside the body. The bodywork made by a Essen-based company was teardrop-shaped, had flush-fitting windows with curved windows and a closed floor. However, despite the structure, it was made of aluminumabout 250 kg heavier than the Mercedes 170H; its aerodynamic shape and because of the rear engine far back center of gravity affected the driving safety of the Schlörwagens and made him very vulnerable to crosswinds .
In a test drive with a production vehicle Mercedes 170H as a comparison model was the Schlörwagen with about 135 km / h top speed by 20 km / h faster than the Mercedes and consumed with 8 liters of gas per 100 kilometers between 20 and 40 percent less fuel than the reference vehicle, the at 10 to 12 liters. According to Karl Schlör, the vehicle should have driven at a speed of 146 km / h, but this is not considered proven. The car produced with these values at the IAA 1939 in Berlin sensation, but was perceived by the audience as ugly.
In 1942, the Schlörwagen was equipped at the rear with a captured in World War II Russian propeller drive with a 130 hp (96 kW) star engine and thus completed test drives in Göttingen. The prototype of the car was last after the end of the Second World War detectable until August 1948 on the site of the German Aerospace Center (DLR) in Göttingen. Schlörs attempts to obtain the heavily damaged body from the British military administration failed. Her whereabouts have remained unclear since then.