The Steudel-Werke were a German manufacturer of automobiles and engines based in Auenstraße in Kamenz .
Founded in 1895 by Horst Steudel initially as a business for the repair and later the new construction of bicycles of the brand Saturn , they produced from 1904 a Voiturette with single-cylinder engine from De Dion-Bouton ago. A number of other automobiles with built-in motors from Fafnir (including the Omnimobils ) and Aster were created until 1907. By 1911, eleven automobiles had been manufactured by hand, with three apprentices and three apprentices at Pulsnitzer Straße 18 in Kamenz.By 1912 Production was just for Engines, and from 1907 to the end of the 1920s, Steudel also produced numerous built-in motors for other vehicle manufacturers.
Customers. DKW , Hataz , Hildebrand , Kenter, Comet , Lindner , Lipsia , Minimus , Moeckel , Omikron , Schuricht and Wittekind , but from 1926 also the Apolda Apollo-Werke AG .
From 1920, bicycles were also produced with single-cylinder auxiliary engine, which were sold very well and exported to Japan. Small engines with up to 2.5 hp were also produced as outboard engines for folding boats and other small vessels. In subsequent years, water-cooled petrol engines with 12, 16, 26 and 36 hp were produced as drives for land and water vehicles and delivered to 20 automobile factories.
The 4-cylinder V-engine, which was originally designed for heavy motorcycles and was designed according to the two-stroke principle, was particularly successful. Each of the two cylinder blocks with two cylinders each at an angle of 90 ° was equipped with a double-acting charge pump. This engine made 25 hp and was installed in large numbers in the DKW 4 = 8 type P25 (from 1929). In the period up to 1940 engines of this type were also installed with outputs of 22 to 32 hp in a further eight types of DKW (a total of over 8,000 pieces).
Arno Steudel designed the company's first diesel engines, which proved to be very successful and also exported, among other things as marine propulsion systems. In the summer of 1945, the Steudel engine works were dismantled by order of the Soviet occupying power and the machines shipped to the Soviet Union. The final exit came in 1946, when the company became a public property, d. H. without compensation on the basis of the plebiscite in Saxony on June 30, 1946 was expropriated.