Econom Automotive manufacturer
Berlin - Haselhorst and Wilmersdorf ,Germany from 1948 to 1956
Econom was a commercial vehicle manufacturer (1948-1956) in Berlin-Spandau OT. Haselhorst , Rhenaniastrasse 14 and Berlin-Wilmersdorf , Landhausstraße 19/20.
In 1948 Hellmuth Butenuth founded the company in Spandau as the first new company to produce automobiles after the Second World War in Germany. Hellmuth Butenuth was technical director of Hanomag in the 1920s and 1930s . In 1932 he went to Berlin for the production of all kinds of vehicles independently , but remained active for Hanomag. In 1937 he took over in Berlin, the major agency for Ford . During the war he founded with the company Günther Lenz a commercial vehicle workshop in Berlin-Wilmersdorf to Ford BB truckrebuild. In 1948, the Econom-Werk was founded in Berlin-Spandau to municipal vehicles u. a. for clearing rubble.
From used commercial vehicles, the first trucks were provisionally restored. The approximately 50 employees built lorries, which initially had to be manufactured from old car parts due to a lack of supply. In 1950, the first Econom truck with a 25 hp Kämper diesel engine was presented at the Berlin Auto Show. From 1952, the 45-hp "Econom-Kommunal vehicle" was built that was quite successful because of its economy. A three-axle truck with two steered front axles and 6.5 t of zGG caused a sensation . By 1955, the factory had manufactured about 1,000 trucks with 200 employees.
1949, a four-wheeled was car called "Econom Teddy" developed who was given the nickname "Crab". The model was stylistically very modern and offered modern accessories. It was planned as Sédan and convertible . Lack of customer interest, the Teddy could not prevail against the restarted mass production of cars of the major manufacturers. By June 1950, the model was built in small numbers.A planned successor remained a prototype.
In 1956, the truck production facility was closed, as it was unable to compete with the meanwhile re-established mass production on the market. After that, Hellmuth Butenuth enlarged his 1937 Ford agency in Berlin, in 1978 he had eleven car dealerships and around 260 employees.