GAZ-69 Light truck
|1953 to 1972|
|Body and chassis|
|Body style||2 door cargo, 4 door field car|
|Engine||2.1L GAZ-69 I4|
|Wheelbase||2,300 mm (91 in)|
|Length||3,850 mm (152 in)|
|Width||1,750 mm (69 in)|
|Height||1,950 mm (77 in)|
|Curb weight||1,535 kg (3,384 lb)|
GAZ-69 is a four wheel drive light truck, produced by GAZ (ГАЗ, or Gorkovsky Avtomobilnyi Zavod, Gorky Automobile Factory) between 1953 and 1955. It replaced the GAZ 67. From 1954 until 1972 it was produced by UAZ, as the UAZ-69, though they were commonly known as GAZ-69s as well. (GAZ production stopped in 1956). In Russia, they were nicknamed Kozel (male goat).
Designed by Grigoriy Vasserman beginning in 1953, it was powered by the same Dodge derived 55 hp (41 kW; 56 PS) 2.1 L (130 cu in) inline four and three-speed transmission as the GAZ M21 Pobeda. This enabled the GAZ 69 to reach 56 mph (90 km/h). It did not enter mass production until December 1964, due to protracted trials
GAZ 69 was also available with a more powerful engine, with 2400cc (derived from the basic 2100cc), delivering 65 hp, with the same three-speed gearbox. This way, it was able to reach 100 km/h (62 mph). These versions were named GAZ 69M, or GAZ 69AM for the four-door version.
It featured two fuel tanks, one of 47 L (12 US gal; 10 imp gal) under the floor, one of 28 L (7 US gal; 6 imp gal) beneath the passenger's seat. All civilian models also had to meet Red Army requirements, in case of wartime requisitioning. (This is also why a hardtop version was not available until 1993.)
The GAZ 69 was also produced under licence by ARO in Romania, first as IMS-57, then as Muscel M59, later modernized as the Muscel M461. Many GAZ-69 trucks were used in Poland during the Cold War.
The basic variant GAZ-69 has a pair of doors only and most often appears with standard canvas top and upper sides. Further variant GAZ-69A (UAZ-69A) has two pair of doors. From the UAZ-69 there were developed a rear-wheel drive only van, the GAZ 19, which never passed the prototype stage. The off-road van and light truck UAZ-450 and newer UAZ-469 also traced their origins to the GAZ 69.
Over 600,000 GAZ 69s were built by the end of production in 1972.
The GAZ-69 was the basic light off-road vehicle of the Soviet Army, replacing GAZ-67s and Willys Jeeps. The GAZ-69 was itself replaced with the UAZ-469.
It was also used as the basis for the 2P26 tank destroyer, as well as for the GAZ 46 MAV, a light 4x4 amphibious vehicle, whose design was largely copied from the World War II Ford GPA 'Seep'.