Ford's revolutionary United Kingdom Zephyr/Consul cars used a new family of engines. The so-called Zephyr engine included both straight-4 and straight-6 OHV engines. Production began in 1951 and lasted through to 1966.
The straight-4 engine started in 1951 at 1508 cc. In this form it had a bore of 79.3 mm and stroke of 76.2 mm. With its standard compression ratio of 6.8:1 it produced an output of 47 bhp (35 kW) at 4400 rpm. It was enlarged in 1956 to 1703 cc engine for the Mark II Consul by increasing the bore to 82.5 mm and the stroke to 79.5 mm putting the power up to 59 bhp (44 kW). This engine continued in the Mark III car, now called Zephyr.
Automobiles using the Consul engine:
Allard Palm Beach
Ford Zephyr 4
Zephyr 6 Ford Engine
The straight-6 Zephyr engine was used widely. Displacement began at 2262 cc when it shared the same bore and stroke as the 1508 cc 4-cylinder engine. It was produced with two standard compression ratios of 6.8:1 and 7.5:1 with outputs of 68 and 71 bhp (53 kW). It grew to 2553 cc in the 1956 Mark II.