Ferrari 500 TR
|1956 to 1957|
|Production||from 1956 to 1957|
|replaces the||Ferrari 500 Mondial|
|Replaced by||Ferrari 500 TRC|
|Size and mass|
|Mass||680 k g|
As the 750 was introduced in 1954, the smaller 500 Mondial was replaced by another two-liter car, the 500 TR. The first car to bear the famed Testa Rossa name, the 500 TR differed from the Mondial in many details. Among the most important was a coil spring suspension, a radical departure for Ferrari, as well as a synchronized transmission with a two-disc clutch.
In the first half of the fifties , the much followed races the Sport category, with engine capacity up to 2,000 cc , had heated confrontation between Maserati and Ferrari that, in 1954 and 55 ,it turned in favour of the Maserati A6 GCS ,
To stop the Maserati, towards the middle of 1955 Enzo Ferrari commissioned Vittorio Jano to create a new model, operating a full update of the "Mondial" and a careful review of the inline four-cylinder engine designed by Aurelio Lampredi for " 500 F2 " .
The 500 TR was entrusted to various private teams that took them in the world championship for sports cars. Side by side at 750 and 850 Monza and 290 MM, the 500 TR allowed to Maranello to win a third consecutive title. Beyond that prevailed between 1956 and 1957 in the Italian league sports cars up to 2000 cc with pilots and Franco Cortese Gino Munaron. The latter also came eighth overall and first in class at the 1957 Mille Miglia XXIV.
The 500 TR continued its predecessors tradition of light weight, coming in at just 680 kg (1500 lb), and this combined with the engine's 190 hp (142 kW) to bring stirring performance to the car.
Scaglietti built most of the 500 TRs, with three also constructed by Carrozzeria Touring, and the design aped the 750 Monza including the faired-in headrest.