Ferrari Monza 625 TF and 735 S
|Substitute||Ferrari 250 MM|
|Replaced by||Ferrari 500 Mondial|
|Engine||Ferrari four-cylinder in the longitudinal front line|
|Transmission||Manual transmission four-speed plus reverse .Rear-wheel drive .|
|Dimensions and weights|
|Debut||29 June 1953 at 'Autodromo di Monza|
The TF 625 was a car for competition produced by Ferrari in 1953
One important stylistic difference between most four-cylinder Ferraris is that they lacked the hood scoops common on V12 models. The V12 cars used downdraft carburettors located centrally in the "valley" of the engine, while the inline-engined fours used side-draft units and thus did not need the hood scoops.
1953 was a breakout year for Ferrari, beginning with the new World Sportscar Championship series. The company augmented their traditional V12-powered 250 MM with the new 340 MM and 375 MM and introduced the new four-cylinder 625 TF and 735 S models. With this profusion of cars, Ferrari was able to sweep the first running of the sportscar championship.
The first four-cylinder closed-wheel sports racer from Ferrari was the 625 TF of 1953. Resembling the Vignale-designed 250 MM barchetta in most respects, the 625 TF used a 2.5 L (2498 cc/152 in³) straight-4 lifted from the 625 F1 car instead of the 250's 3.0 L V12. It was a small car, with the same 2250 mm (89 in) wheelbase as the 250 but even lighter at 730 kg (1610 lb). The engine produced 220 hp (164 kW) at 7000 rpm and could push the little roadster to over 240 km/h (150 mph).
The lightweight car debuted at the hands of Mike Hawthorn at Monza on June 29, 1953. Although it could not keep up on the long straights at that track, Hawthorn still brought the car to fourth place at its debut.
A single closed 625 TF coupe, one of the last Ferraris designed and built by Vignale, was created in the Spring of 1953.
The TF 625 was the first car from the Ferrari competition with covered wheels (that is, with the fenders )
The car body of the three specimens, two spyder and a coupe , was bodied by Vignale and looked like the one made by the same company for 250 MM version boat . The original coupe, one of the last cars Ferrari designed and made by the famous coachbuilder from Turin , was completed in the spring of 1953 .
The engine of the 625 TF derived from the one installed on the 625 F1 , from which the numerical code in the model name. Compared to that of the car of Formula 1 , the engine was more powerful than 10 hp and had mounted two carburetors , always brand Weber , but of a different model. The name "TF" probably derived from Targa Florio , though the TF 625 has never taken part in this competition . With the 250 S shared the step , which was 2250 mm , but not the weight , as it was lighter.
The TF 625 took part in a single race in the official insignia of the Scuderia from Maranello , and was organized a competition to ' Autodromo di Monza on 29 June 1953 . The participating car was one of two spyder .Driven by Mike Hawthorn , he was in trouble on the long straights of the track, but managed to finish fourth
After this sporting event three models were sold with different engines from the original . However, two of them were short-lived, since the coupe version was involved in a fire and one of the two spyder had an accident.The spyder who survived also had a troubled life, and participated in several competitions in South America , where he remained for about a decade . Here he took part, among other things, four editions of the 1000 km of Buenos Aires . Following this example was mounted an engine Lincoln V12 . Later it was reported in Italy , in Naples , where he lay in a store in the state of scrap. He was recently renovated, and was reinstalled a Ferrari four-cylinder engine. Now he participates in historical re-enactments of competitions such as the Mille Miglia and the Monaco Grand Prix historical.
The engine was a four-cylinder in-line longitudinal front that had a capacity of 2498.32 cm³ . L ' bore and stroke were respectively 94 mm and 90 mm, while the compression ratio was 9: 1 . The cylinder head andcylinder block were manufactured in alloy light . The cooling system was in circulating water . The power delivered by the maximum engine was 220 hp at 7000 rpm .
The distribution consisted of two valves per cylinder that had moved from a dual overhead cam head . The ' power , not forced , was guaranteed by two carburetors brand Weber and model 50 DCO4. The ' power was double, and the corresponding apparatus included two coils . The lubrication was dry sump , while the clutch was multi .
The suspensions were independent front and wishbones, while the rear ones were formed by a De Dion axle and twin radius . Both rode a crossbow cross and dampers hydraulic . The brakes were drum on all four wheels , while the exchange , which was mounted in unit with the differential , was manual four more reverse gear ratios . The traction was back . The steering was worm and sector gear .
The frame was tubular steel . The body was in aluminum and was made in version spyder or berlinetta two places .
The speed reached by the 625 TF maximum was 240 km / h .
The same day that the 625 TF debuted, another car was fielded for Alberto Ascari. Sporting an enlarged 2.9 L (2942 cc/179 in³) engine, Ascari's 735 S was more capable at Monza, leading the race until he collided with a 250 MM. The 735 S was a barchetta bodied by Carrozzeria Autodromo with recessed headlights, a drooping grille, and fender vents.