Ramses (Egyptian Automotive Company)
Automotive manufacturer of Egypt from 1959 to 1973.
The company was founded in 1958 in Cairo . The order was given by then-President Gamal Abdel Nasser . The engineer George Hawi and the Air Force officer Essam Abu el Ela were decisive role in building the company. Chief Engineer was Mohammed Wali. 1958 began production of automobiles with the help of the German NSU Motor Works . The brand name was Ramses . 1973 ended the production. A subsidiary was the Egyptian Light Transport Manufacturing Company . In 1964, 400 vehicles were created. By 1965, to about 1,700 vehicles made.
The company moved from NSU complete ground groups of the NSU Prinz . These included the engine, transmission and chassis. An air-cooled two-cylinder engine with 583 cc displacement was mounted in the rear and drive to the rear wheels.The body deviated from the original as a two-door sedan and a two-door cabriolet , both designed by Vignale , as well as a doorless minivan. As an open four-seater, the Gamila as a sporty version with a body of Vignale and model Utilicaas a minivan in the style of Citroen Mehari on.
From 1962, the company used for the sedan, the body of the NSU Prince 4, which was modified in the front area. From 1963, the previously doorless multi-purpose vehicle received doors. The cabriolet was discontinued in 1965. From 1967, an independent body, which was more angular than before.From 1971, a four-door sedan was available.