Ayrton & Perry Electric Tricycle
Early Car manufacturer of Great Britain from 1882.
The Ayrton & Perry Electric Tricycle is an electric tricycle . It was built by the two English professors William Edward Ayrton and John Perry a few months after the world's first electric vehicle , the Trouvé Tricycle . In October 1882, they drove with this first on Queen Victoria Street in London.
Ayrton and Perry used a tricycle from Howe Machine Company of Glasgow for their electric vehicle. This had two large wheels at the front and a small rear wheel, the engine is made approximately 0.37 kilowatts, or about 0.5 hp. The traction batteries of Camille Alphonse Faure had a capacity of one kilowatt hour and a voltage of 20 volts. Partly also cells from Sellon-Volckmar were used. The accumulators were arranged on a board under the seat.
The speed was controlled by individually switching on and off the ten accumulator cells . This vehicle had a range of up to 40 kilometers and reached a top speed of about 14 km / h. In addition, it had - unlike Trouvés vehicle - no pedals and was therefore completely dependent on the electric drive. The Ayrton & Perry Tricycle is the first vehicle with electric light.