RGS Automobile Components Ltd
RGS Automobile Components Ltd was a British manufacturer of automobiles from the 1950s to the early 1960s.
Richard G. Shattocks ("RGS") took over in 1949 the remains of Atalanta Motors . From 1950 he built under the name RGS Atalanta racing cars on Atalanta chassis with engines from Jaguar or Aston Martin . Still convinced of the concept of the chassis, in 1953 he took over all of the remaining inventory, set up his own business in Windsor, and started producing automobiles in the same year. The brand name remained RGS Atalanta . Production lasted, until 1962. A total of about 100 vehicles emerged.
The first twelve vehicles had an ordinary chassis . Later, in 1953, John Griffith designed a lead frame, the now formed the basis of the vehicle. The body was made of fiberglass , which was unusual for a British vehicle at that time. Bodybuilders was first North East Coast Yacht Building & Engineering Company Ltd. , from 1958 Precision Reinforced Moldings Ltd and then Microplas .
Furthermore, most vehicles received Jaguar engines; Shattocks also supplied on request versions with engines from Bentley , Aston Martin , Lea-Francis or with used V12 engines from Lincoln (whose production ended after 1948). Most RGS Atalanta were delivered as a kit , but they were also assembled by RGS Automobile Components on request .
As far back as 1953, Shattocks built a racing sports car with 16-inch spoked wheels and aluminum bodywork, which was the only one without fiberglass construction. As drive served a modified Jaguar C-Type -Rennmotor with special valves, Warren Pearce -Renn intake manifold and dry sump lubrication and later three double carburetors SU HD8 instead H8 . Shattock drove the traditional dark blue painted cars to 1955 in the race. The vehicle still exists and is currently in yellow with yellow stripes on British Racing Green .
In addition to RGS Atalanta pursued the British racing teams Cooper , HWM , Lister and Tojeiro a similar concept and usually put on Jaguar engines.