Dellow Car Range history
Birmingham, England UK
Dellow cars were made in a factory at Alvechurch, near Birmingham, England between 1949 and 1956.
Dellow was a product of Dellow Motors, a small garage business in Alvechurch, near Birmingham, and the name was derived from the partners, K.C. Delingpole and R.B. Lowe.
The basis of the design was a simple tubular chassis frame, but all the main mechanical components were of Ford Ten/ Prefect origin, including engine-gearbox, back axle, most of the suspension and the springs, and the roadwheels. The body was in light alloy on a tubular framework, and naturally there were no doors. Weather protection was, to say the least, sketchy, though a hood was available if the customer insisted. A trials-orientated feature was the big (15 gallon) fuel tank, and twin spare
wheels, both of which hung over the tail of the car, and both of which added more weight to the driving wheels. Later Dellows were Mk Vs, with a similar chassis layout, but with the transverse leaf spring front suspension discarded in favour of vertical coil springs.
In 1956 the last of these handbuilt cars, which sold only in tiny numbers, was replaced by a new Mk VI Dellow, which had a full-width glass-fibre bodyshell, but as the only reason for buying a Dellow was for its lightweight and near complete absence of bodywork, this failed to attract sales, and Dellow disappeared from the motor manufacturing business.
Engine and transmission: Four-cylinders, in-line, with sidevalve operation and cylinder head layout, built by Ford. Bore, stroke and capacity 63.5 x 92.5mm., 1172cc. Two stages of engine tune: (30bhp) Maximum power 30bhp (gross) at 4200rpm.; maximum torque 461b.ft. at 2400rpm. (36bhp) Maximum power 36bhp (gross) at 4400 rpm.; maximum torque 541b.ft. at 2150rpm. (Supercharged engine also available). Three-speed manual gearbox in unit with engine. Spiral bevel final drive.
Chassis: Front engine, rear drive. Separate steel chassis frame, with tubular side-members and cross bracing. Suspension of front axle beam by transverse elliptic leaf spring and radius arms. Worm type steering. Suspension of rear live axle by cantilever quarter-elliptic leaf springs and torque tube. Front and rear drum brakes.
Bodywork: Light-alloy bodyshell on tubular framework, in traditional two-seater open sports style, but with no doors, by Dellow. Length llft. 6in.; width 4ft. 6in.; height 4ft. Oin. Unladen weight (approx) 13001b.
Performance: (Supercharged version): Maximum speed 69mph. 0-60mph 20.3sec. Standing 1/4-mile 22.8sec. Typical fuel consumption 25mpg.
Note: Dellow Mk V had similar chassis, except front suspension was by coil springs, radius arms and Panhard rod and rear suspension by coil springs.
Performance: Maximum speed 74mph. 0-60mph 20.4sec. Standing IA-mile 21.2sec. Typical fuel consumption 35mpg.
- Dellow Prototypes -1947 - Ford 10 powered Austin 7 chassis
- Dellow Mk I - 1949 - Ford 10 powered basic 2 seater
- Dellow Mk II - 1951 - Optional doors, rear coil springs
- Dellow Mk III - 1952 - 2+2 model
- Dellow Mk IV - 1954? - one-off with Ford Consul engine
- Dellow Mk V - 1954 - Coil sprung beam front axle
- Dellow Mk VI - 1957 - Independent front suspension, ladder chassis