Carden cyclecar history
Farnham, Surrey , Teddington, Middlesex , Ascot, Berkshire.
|Body style||single seat open|
|Engine||480 cc single cylinder JAP or 654 cc V twin|
|Wheelbase||78 inches (1980 mm)|
|Length||120 inches (3050 mm)|
|Width||32 inches (813 mm)|
The Carden was a British 4 wheeled cyclecar made from 1914 by Carden Engineering originally based in Farnham, Surrey but moving in 1914 to Teddington, Middlesex and in 1919 to Ascot, Berkshire.
Sir John Carden was a prolific designer who went on to work on tanks but started his career with cyclecars. His first design was a wooden bodied single seater powered by a 481 cc single cylinder JAP engine driving the back axle by belt. There was no gearbox. At first he had built the cars at his home but demand was sufficient to warrant moving to larger premises in Teddington in February 1914.
A larger machine joined the original, powered by a two cylinder V-twin engine of 654 cc and fitted with a two speed gearbox.
In 1916 the design and factory was sold to Ward and Avey Ltd who renamed the car the AV and continued manufacture until about 1924.
Production, including those made by AV, may have reached 1000.
Carden went on to design a new cyclecar in 1919 which he sold later the same year to Tamplin and then a further model which he sold to Arnott and Harrison in 1922 who sold it as the New Carden and made the car until 1925.