Baughan car history
Harrow, Middlesex, UK . 1920 until 1936
|Headquarters||Harrow, Middlesex, UK|
|Key people||Henry Baughan|
|Products||Cyclecar and motorcycles|
Baughan was a British cyclecar and motorcycle manufacturer in business from 1920 until 1936. From 1920 until 1921 they were based in Harrow, Middlesex, then moving to Stroud, Gloucestershire. After motorcycle production finished the company continued in general engineering and plastics.
Henry Baughan was an aircraft engineer and motorcycle trials rider who in 1920 made his first cyclecar. This was a four-wheel model powered by a water-cooled Blackburne or air-cooled JAP V twin engine of 998 or 1097 cc. Drive was to the rear wheels through a Sturmey Archer three-speed-and-reverse gearbox and chain final drive. The chassis had a wheelbase of 89 inches (2260 mm) with suspension by quarter elliptic leaf springs all round. Lightweight two-seat open bodies were fitted. Car production seems to have finished in 1925, but new cars were still listed for sale up to 1929. It is not known how many cars were made, at least one survives.
A range of motorcycles was made from 1930 to 1936 using a variety of engines also by Blackburne or JAP ranging in size from 250 to 500 cc engines. Production is believed to have been small.
Baughan continued to exist into the new millennium as a producer of plastics processing equipment. They manufactured a large range of equipment including single screw extruders and 2-roll mills. Much of this equipment is still in use today. The company was eventually acquired by Rondol Technology Ltd, a Staffordshire-based manufacturer of polymer processing equipment who continue to support owners of the equipment.