Bristol L type Bus
Bristol Commercial Vehicles
|Production||1937 to 1950|
|Body and chassis|
|Layout||forward-control single-deck chassis|
|Engine||Diesel,petrol 7.7 litre|
Bristol L type bus was Introduced in the autumn of 1937, the L type chassis has a wheelbase of 17ft 6in, and was designed to carry single-deck bodywork.
Fitted with a 5-speed overdrive type sliding mesh gearbox, most were powered by Gardner 5LW oil engines, and were classified L5G.
Optional engines were available, however, in the form of either Gardner 4LW or 6LW units, and chassis fitted with these were designated L4G and L6G respectively. The brakes fitted to the L type are of the triple servo vacuum type. Production continued until 1941 by which time 875 had been built. In 1942, 15 further chassis were
built, these being 'unfrozen' and completion being authorised by the wartime government.
The L type reappeared in 1946, and whilst basically the same as the prewar version carrying the same classification it had a new low tapered style radiator in place of the 'shield' type previously used. Retaining its 17ft 6in wheelbase it was offered with either Gardner 4LW or 5LW oil engines, or an AEC 7.7 litre CD-cylinder oil unit.
Chassis fitted with these were classified L4G, L5G and L6A respectively. Transmission is via a 5-speed sliding mesh overdrive gearbox, whilst the brakes are triple servo vacuum operated. In 1947 a further engine was added to the list of alternatives, this being a Bristol A V W 6-cylinder unit, and chassis carrying this were coded L6B. A year later, the AEC engine was withdrawn from the range.
The L type remained in production with its choice of four power units until 1950.