|Body and chassis|
|Engine||4.4 liters Six Cylinder|
Manufactured by Austro-Daimler Gesellschaft, Wiener Neustadt, Austria
The Austrian Daimler-Motoren-Gesellschaft, which began making cars under Daimler licence in 1899, was formerly known as Maschinenfabrik Bierentz, Fischer und Co, and it made household articles. In 1905 Paul Daimler was succeeded as technical director of the company by 30-year old Ferdinand Porsche, and the company changed its name to Austro-Daimler Gesellschaft.
From 1909 Austro-Daimler took part in the Prince Henry trials, regarded as the most popular event for testing reliability. Porsche proved himself to be both a brilliant engineer and driver. In 12 months he evolved a 5.9 litre four-cylinder ohc engine developing 66.2kW (90hp). The car could cruise at 146km/h (90mph). In the first event Austro-Daimler ended up with a sweeping one-two-three finish.
During the First World War Austro-Daimler became part of the Skoda concern, managed by Baron von Skoda. After the war the company introduced a stylish six-cylinder car a light alloy engine block and a camshaft driven by a vertical shaft., the AD 617 The term "6-17" meant: 6-cylinder and 17-horsepower, again the brainchild of Porsche. This model was made exclusively for export. The AD 6-17 was fitted with a 4240 cc in-line ohc engine developing 44.1kW (60hp). The car had a front mounted 6-cylinder in-line engine that powered the rear wheels via a 4-speed gearbox. Front wheels were attached to a rigid axle and had longitudinal leaf springs. The rear wheels also hung on a rigid axle, which was supported on cantilever half-springs on the chassis. The cooler was designed as a Spitzkühler. The foot brake acted on the drive shaft and the rear wheels.
In 1919 there followed the small 1.1 litre Sasha model of the Porsche series, financed by the film magnate Count Alexander Kolowrat. In this car Porsche called on his experience with the previous small Maya, named after Emile Jellinek's youngest daughter, Mercédés' sister. Originally the Sasha was intended as a production car, but postwar conditions in Austria were not favourable for implementing this programme.
In 1923 Porsche withdrew from the firm. His ideas were further developed by Karl Rabe, under whose management other AD models were built. The popular AD6 model was fitted with a 2973 cc in-line six-cylinder OHC engine developing 80.9kW (110hp), From this was derived the ADM Sport, in which the 'king of the hills' Hans Stuck won a great many hill climbs. These successes led the car to be called 'Bergmeister', the German word for 'king of the hills'.In the early 1930s co-operation with the Austrian Puch company was started, and later the two companies merged.
In 1924, the AD 6-17 was replaced by the model ADV, which the Austrian Daimler-Motoren-stock company as the successor of the model AD 6-17 brought out the 1924th The car essentially corresponded to its predecessor and was designed by Porsche employee Karl Rabe . The engine had a light metal block and a shaft driven by a camshaft.
The car had a front mounted 6-cylinder in-line engine that powered the rear wheels via a 4-speed gearbox. Front wheels were attached to a rigid axle and had longitudinal leaf springs. The rear wheels also hung on a rigid axle, which was supported on cantilever half-springs on the chassis. The cooler was designed as a Spitzkühler. In contrast to its predecessor, however, the ADV was equipped with four-wheel brakes (hence the V).
|capacity||4424 cm 3|
|power||60 hp (44 kW)|
|consumption||18 l / 100 km|
|top speed||100 km / h|
|Track front and back||1360 mm|