Austin 15 hp
From 1908 to 1915
The Austin 15 hp was a motor car manufactured by the British Austin Motor Company, sold between 1908 and 1915.
The original 15 hp, of which 213 were produced, was sold between 1908 and 1910.It was powered by a 4-cylinder 2½-litre (2539 cc) monobloc engine, the only pre-war model to have one with a 3.5-inch (89 mm) x 4-inch (100 mm) stroke and three-bearing crank-shaft.
A revised 15 hp model was introduced in 1911, losing the monobloc design, but with an increased stroke of 4.5 inches (110 mm), 2838 cc, side-valve T-head engine design,and was actually rated at 19.6 hp. Austin manufactured 688 of these more powerful models. It had a four-speed gearbox with cone clutch, shaft and bevel-drive back axle. Suspension was provided by semi-elliptic leaf springs at the front and Austin-patent full-elliptic leaf springs at the rear. Brakes were by rear wheel drum and transmission brakes. The wheels were wooden artillery style wheels with Michelin detachable rims, 815 x 105 beaded-edge tyres. In 1913, a powered chassis with tyres was available for £350.
As with many Austins of the period it was available in a wide range of bodies, including a two-seater "Harrogate" (with single rear dicky seat), a two-seater "Ascot", a four-seater "Westminister Landaulet" or "Levee Single Landaulet" and a snub-nose "Town Carriage" with an open driver and closed passenger layout. A four-seat open tourer was only available until 1910