|1953 to 1956|
|Production||1953–1956 14,634 produced plus an additional fifty 100S and five special test cars|
|Assembly||Longbridge, England West Bromwich, England|
|Engine||2660 cc I4|
|Transmission||3-speed (series BN1) or 4-speed (series BN2) manual|
|Wheelbase||90 in (2,286 mm)|
|Length||151 in (3,835 mm)|
|Width||60 in (1,524 mm)|
|Height||49.25 in (1,251 mm)|
The Austin-Healey 100 is a sports car built from 1953 until 1956.
It was developed by Donald Healey to be produced in-house by Healey's small car company in Warwick and based on Austin A90 Atlantic mechanicals. Healey built a single Healey Hundred for the 1952 London Motor Show, and the design impressed Leonard Lord, Managing Director of Austin so much, he was looking for a replacement to the unsuccessful A90, that a deal was struck with Healey to build it in quantity at Austin's Longbridge factory. The car was renamed the Austin-Healey 100.
The "100" name comes from Donald Healey, who selected the name from the car's ability to reach 100 mph (160 km/h), as opposed to the Austin-Healey 3000, which is named for its 3000 cc engine.
Production Austin-Healey 100s were finished at Austin's Longbridge plant alongside the A90 and based on fully trimmed and painted body/chassis units produced by Jensen in West Bromwich—in an arrangement the two companies previously had explored with the Austin A40 Sports.
The 100 was the first of three models later called the Big Healeys to distinguish them from the much smaller Austin-Healey Sprite. The Big Healeys are often referred to by their three-character model designators rather than by their models, as the model names do not reflect the mechanical differences and similarities well.
The first 100s (series "BN1") were equipped with the same 90 bhp (67 kW) engines and manual transmission as the stock A90, but the transmission was modified to be a three-speed unit with overdrive on second and top. The 2660 cc I4 engine featured an undersquare 87.3 mm (3.4 in) bore and 111.1 mm (4.4 in) stroke.
Girling 11 in (279.4 mm) drum brakes are fitted all round. Front suspension is independent using coil springs and at the rear is a rigid axle with semi elliptic leaf springs. The steering is by a cam and lever system.
A BN1 tested by The Motor magazine in 1953 had a top speed of 106 mph (171 km/h) and could accelerate from 0–60 mph (97 km/h) in 11.2 seconds. A fuel consumption of 22.5 miles per imperial gallon (12.6 L/100 km; 18.7 mpg-US) was recorded. The test car cost £1063 including taxes.
A total of 10030 BN1s were built from May 1953 until replaced by the BN2 model in August 1955.
The BN2 was fitted with a real 4-speed manual transmission, still with overdrive on the top 2 gears. Other features that distinguish the BN2 from the BN1 are the slightly larger front wheel arches, different rear axle and being the first 100 with optional two-tone paint. The colour alternatives available to the 100 were: Reno Red, Spruce Green, Healey Blue, Florida Green, Old English White, Black, and approximately 50 Gunmetal Grey cars. The BN2 two-tone colours were: White/Black; Reno Red/Black; Healey Blue/White; Black/Reno Red; and Florida Green/White.
In 1955, a 100M model was developed as well, with larger carburettors, a cold air box to increase air flow to the carburettors, high-lift camshaft and 8.1:1 compression pistons. It produced 110 bhp (82 kW) at 4500 rpm. The front suspension was stiffened and the bonnet gained louvres, along with a bonnet belt. Most (approximately 70%) of the cars were finished with a two-tone paint scheme including two cars finished in unique colour schemes: one White over Red and the other (for display at the 1955 London Motor Show) in Black over Pink. There were 640 factory built 100Ms—all BN2 series cars. The 100M components (except for the high compression pistons) were also available as the Le Mans Engine Modification Kit which could be installed in either a BN1 or BN2 with the engine in situ, improving the power output to approximately 100 bhp (75 kW) at 4500 rpm. The Le Mans kit and its component parts could be ordered from BMC, so cars were modified by Austin dealers and private owners.
The final BN2 was built in July 1956 with a total of 4604 BN2s produced, including the 100M.
Built primarily with racing in mind, the aluminium-bodied "100S" (for Sebring) model developed 132 bhp (98 kW) at 4700 rpm. Only 50 production cars were made, plus an additional five works development/special test cars which were hand built by the Donald Healey Motor Company at Warwick.The cast iron cylinder head was replaced by one made from aluminium and the overdrive unit was not fitted to the gearbox. Dunlop disc brakes were fitted front and rear. To keep weight to a minimum, there were no bumpers or hood (convertible top), a smaller grille and the windscreen was plastic. The 100S was also the first production car in the world to sport disc brakes at both the front and rear. The car was approximately 200 lb (91 kg) lighter than standard. The majority of all 100S were two-toned White with Lobelia Blue sides. However, a handful of cars where produced in other colors including Spruce Green, red and one single black 100S.
An unrestored works racing team 1953 Austin-Healey '100' Special Test Car, which was campaigned in period by racing drivers Lance Macklin, Gordon Wilkins and Marcel Becquart, sold for a world record £843,000 ($1,323,915) December 1, 2011, at Bonhams' December Sale. This car was involved in the 1955 Le Mans disaster, motor racing's most lethal crash—where 84 people died and 120 were injured.
The Big Healeys
The Austin-Healey 100 was the first of three cars later called the Big Healeys to distinguish them from the later and much smaller Austin-Healey Sprite. It was followed by the Austin-Healey 100-6 and then the Austin-Healey 3000. Despite the names, the Austin-Healey 100-6 has more in common with the subsequent Austin-Healey 3000 than with the original Austin-Healey 100, both mechanically and in appearance.
In 1956, a major redesign saw the wheelbase lengthened, redesigned bodywork with a fixed windshield and two occasional seats added (which in 1958 became an option with the introduction of the two-seat BN6 which was produced in parallel with the 2+2 BN4), and the powertrain completely replaced by one based on the six-cylinder BMC C-Series engine.
In 1959, the engine capacity was increased from 2.6 to 2.9 litres and the car renamed the Austin-Healey 3000. Both 2-seat and 2+2 variants were offered.
The 3000 was produced in three marks and four model designations. Production continued until 1968, and accounted for about 60% of the Big Healeys produced in all.
- 100: 2-seat
- BN1: 3 speed +OD, 1952–55
- BN2: 4 speed +OD, 1955–56
- AHS: 1955
- BN4: 2+2, 1956-1959
- BN6 2-seat. 1958-1959
- 3000 Mk I
- BN7 2-seat. 1959-61
- BT7 2+2, 1959-1961
- 3000 Mk II
- BN7 2-seat, 1961-1962
- BT7 2+2, 1961–62
- BJ7 2+2, 1962–63
- 3000 Mk III
- BJ8 Phase 1 2+2, 1964
- BJ8 Phase 2 2+2, 1964–68